Is MS1 what I need?

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

alpecsa
MS/Extra Newbie

Is MS1 what I need?

Post by alpecsa »

Like most, I need to start some where, money is tight now so I have to make sure what ever I purchase will work for me. I am looking to control mainly ignition on an MGB using a Ford EDIS system, but at the same time will like to have the option to start playing with a TBI on the same car in the near future. My question is, will a "MegaSquirt-I Programmable EFI System PCB2.2" at $169 work for me? Is there another less expensive option that I can handle ignition and the TBI in the future?

Cheers
damon308
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Is MS1 what I need?

Post by damon308 »

alpecsa wrote:Like most, I need to start some where, money is tight now so I have to make sure what ever I purchase will work for me. I am looking to control mainly ignition on an MGB using a Ford EDIS system, but at the same time will like to have the option to start playing with a TBI on the same car in the near future. My question is, will a "MegaSquirt-I Programmable EFI System PCB2.2" at $169 work for me? Is there another less expensive option that I can handle ignition and the TBI in the future?

Cheers
Hi Alpecsa, yes MS1 V2.2 would suit you fine as that is the cheapest option, with a simple mod it can run the EDIS Module and coil pack + your Injection, OK, Regards DM
alpecsa
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by alpecsa »

Thanks so much, are the mods to be made something I can order or do I just order the kit and make the mods my self?

Alfredo
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

There are a couple problems I can see with an MS1 V2.2 on a TBI.

1. TBIs generally have low impedance injectors. You'd want either a flyback board or a V3.0, and starting with a V3.0 is about the same price.

2. GM TBIs have a stepper IAC valve, which if you want to control it, would require stepping up to an MS2.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Matt Cramer wrote:There are a couple problems I can see with an MS1 V2.2 on a TBI.

1. TBIs generally have low impedance injectors. You'd want either a flyback board or a V3.0, and starting with a V3.0 is about the same price.

2. GM TBIs have a stepper IAC valve, which if you want to control it, would require stepping up to an MS2.
Know also that you could do the above in stages. Buy an MS1 system now with the 3.0 board, then upgrade it with an MS2 processor later.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
alpecsa
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by alpecsa »

Can I run a GM 3400 60°V6 with the MS1?, I know I can not run sequential injection, but can I run this engine in batch mode withe the MS1 v2.2?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

alpecsa wrote:Can I run a GM 3400 60°V6 with the MS1?, I know I can not run sequential injection, but can I run this engine in batch mode withe the MS1 v2.2?
Is this multi-port or TBI ?

As mentioned above, MS1/V2.2 won't directly control low-z injectors.

Although it is the cheapest option, I wouldn't recommend MS1 for new installs now as there are a number of more advanced Megasquirts available.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
alpecsa
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by alpecsa »

I am looking for something to control an EDIS ignition, as I can understand I will be able to do it with the MS1, the thing is that I would like to be able to use it for fuel later and I would not like to buy something that when the time comes, won´t work with any other projects. I am looking for something (as cheap as possible) that will do the EDIS (which the MS1 does) and can do fuel in either a TBI (in an MGB engine) or fuel in a GM multi-port engine.
Just trying to find the least expensive MS to start learning, but at the same time, I don´t want to get stock with something that will not allow me to expand.

Cheers

Alfredo
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The MS2 has a sequential injection mode specifically designed to allow port injection on a siamese port engine such as the B-series engine in your MGB (and the A-series engine in the Mini). This gives much better results than TBI because it allows you to eliminate any charge stealing that comes with the siamese ports.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

alpecsa wrote:I am looking for something to control an EDIS ignition, as I can understand I will be able to do it with the MS1, the thing is that I would like to be able to use it for fuel later and I would not like to buy something that when the time comes, won´t work with any other projects. I am looking for something (as cheap as possible) that will do the EDIS (which the MS1 does) and can do fuel in either a TBI (in an MGB engine) or fuel in a GM multi-port engine.
Just trying to find the least expensive MS to start learning, but at the same time, I don´t want to get stock with something that will not allow me to expand.

Cheers

Alfredo
Go for the V3 board. New, costs an extra $50 or so over the V2.2, but is the PCB the MS2&3 uses, as well as MS1. If cost really is an issue, consider buying used.
Don't forget that if intending using EDIS, all the EDIS bits including a trigger wheel and sensor and loom etc to fit your car will likely cost near enough the same as the MS itself.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

DaveEFI wrote:
Go for the V3 board. New, costs an extra $50 or so over the V2.2, but is the PCB the MS2&3 uses, as well as MS1. If cost really is an issue, consider buying used.
I would only recommend buying used if you know the MegaSquirt line well enough to be able to identify any modifications on a used MegaSquirt and diagnose any problems it might have. Used MegaSquirts are sometimes best thought of as buying a project ECU, like buying a project car.

This is a bit less of a risk with a MicroSquirt or other ECU that is sold ready made and generally not modded.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Matt Cramer wrote:
DaveEFI wrote:
I would only recommend buying used if you know the MegaSquirt line well enough to be able to identify any modifications on a used MegaSquirt and diagnose any problems it might have. Used MegaSquirts are sometimes best thought of as buying a project ECU, like buying a project car.

This is a bit less of a risk with a MicroSquirt or other ECU that is sold ready made and generally not modded.

All true - but if someone is considering building one from a kit, I'd hope they'd have the skills to note any mods, etc. Or be able to see them from a pic and avoid.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
ihateforums
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ihateforums »

I've run MS1 v2.2 on two cars with low-Z injectors. I tested the Extra code using PWM, but since I prefer the High-res code I now use resistors. I also once converted a car to EDIS, and for that I used parts harvested from a junkyard Ford for very low cost. The mods needed on a 2.2 board to run EDIS are minimal, compared to running a VR sensor and direct coil control which is better accomplished with a 3.0 board.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

I would agree with the general consensus, MS1 v2.2 or v3.0. I can only give experience with the v3.0, as I run it with a RWD 60*v6, a 2.8L. I am still in the tuning stage and mine is running full standalone. I have yet to utilize all the features. Like IAC for one, but it runs pretty well without it most of the time. A lot of mods will need extra money to put together circuits and components to add on. Like me; I will be adding a knock sensor and eventually go from distributor ignition to DIS ignition when I swap a FWD 60*v6 top end onto the 3.4L block(3.4/3500 hybrid). At the same time I will be upgrading to the MS2 processor, which is virtually plug and play and boom your running MS2.

As I said, I only have experience with the MS1 v3.0 and the Extra firmware, I bought it unassembled and put it together myself, though I do have an electronics background. You will have to match the MS version with your needs now, and in the future. But the v3.0 with the MS1 processor would be a good starting point IMO, as long as you take one step at a time.

Biggest things are what you want to do now, then what you want to do in the future. Base your purchase off of that and upgrade when you see fit.

EDIT- And as was said before, unless you are familiar with the MS family, buy new and avoid future headaches.
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection