Hardware fault on injector circuit. FIXED.

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Nigep
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Hardware fault on injector circuit. FIXED.

Post by Nigep »

I have a bit of an odd problem. Built my ECU several years ago, same time as a mate built one to the same spec. Wasted spark, VW 60-2 OEM trigger setup.

Fitted to my ITB`s with the MS1-Extra code and mapped it. The car ran for several years and I didn`t realise I had an issue.

Turns out I was running at 2-squirts per cycle. This wasn`t a problem, the injectors were big enough so duty cycle wasn`t a concern.

Now I`ve gone Forced induction, bought some 640cc Bosch injectors, 4 Bar FPR and mapped it. Was getting over 100% duty cycle at high RPM, so tried to change it to 1 squirt per cycle.

Now we hit the problem. It simply won`t idle smoothly or run well on 1-squirt per cycle. Change it to 2 and it`s as smooth as you like.

I thought it was my setup, so we fitted HIS ECU into my car, runs fine on 1-squirt per cycle.

Fitted MY ECU in HIS car (same engine, VW 2.0 16V ABF with Turbo). It runs smoothly on 2-squirts per cycle. As SOON as he changed it to 1, it runs rough.

He burned his project and map on the the ECU and it`s exactly the same.Won`t run smoothly on 1-squirt per cycle. HIS ECU, on my car, with my project & MAP runs perfectly on 1-squirt per cycle.

We`re convinced it`s a hardware problem in the ECU, but I have no idea WHAT or how to diagnose it.

Any advice please ??
Last edited by Nigep on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Hardware fault on injector circuit. Not sure how to diag

Post by kjones6039 »

Hmmmmmmmmm........

Sounds a bit like injector opening (dead) time settings.........

Just a thought.......

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Throw an oscilloscope on the injector outputs and see what voltage it's clamping the flyback spike at.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Nigep
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Nigep »

kjones6039 wrote:Hmmmmmmmmm........

Sounds a bit like injector opening (dead) time settings.........

Just a thought.......

Ken
Both cars are running the same injectors and times, which made me doubt that could be an issue?

Matt Cramer wrote:Throw an oscilloscope on the injector outputs and see what voltage it's clamping the flyback spike at.
Sorry, what ??? :idea: :lol:

I can try and borrow a scope from somewhere. Do I connect it across both wires to the injector or somewhere else ? At the injector end or doesn`t it matter ?
Nigep
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Nigep »

Matt Cramer wrote:Throw an oscilloscope on the injector outputs and see what voltage it's clamping the flyback spike at.
Apologies for the delay, but finding a scope I could use took some time. It`s an old thing, but I managed to get the necessary information. :)

Unfortunately, it doesn`t actually appear to show an issue :(

For reference. 0V

Connected the trigger wire to the car battery (14V)

2 channels, one at +1CM and the other at -1CM. I`ve added details to the +1V event.

First off, my mates ECU on 1 squirt per cycle. Flyback spike at 36V (as expected ?)

Now mine, on 2 squirts per cycle.

The traces look identical with both ECU`s :(

As a final check, with MY ECU.

2 Squirt per cycle trace

Changed to 1-Squirt per cycle

1 Squirt per cycle trace. Engine running rough as soon as I switched to 1 SPC on MY ECU, no noticeable difference with his ECU, yet the traces look the same.

Any suggestions please ? I`m stuck. :?:
Nigep
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Nigep »

Obviously this has never happened before. Image

Anyway, just to close it off incase it ever happens to anyone else and they are as stuck as I was.

Turns out reflashing the ECU with the firmware has fixed the problem. I had the original files with the correct Easytherm files saved on my PC. Reburned it and it now runs on 1-squirt per cycle, exactly the same as the other ECU.
I`m guessing there was some corruption in that part of the code when it was orginally burned. I didn`t change ANYTHING else, simply connected the laptop, reflashed it, reloaded my tune and when I tried 1-squirt per cycle, it ran just as smooth as the other ECU where it hadn`t before.

Nige.