Wideband grounding question

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

nano
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Wideband grounding question

Post by nano »

After a few hours reading about that little difference between the Innovate AFR gauge and the Tunerstudio gauge I've realized maybe I have a grounding problem. My problem is similar to anyone who owns a LC-1: Tunerstudio readings are a bit leaner than the Innovate gauge.

Question 1: Maybe grounding the heater ground to other point which is not the MS ground will improve the readings? Now I have controller and heater ground wired to the MS ground, which is grounded to engine block. Should I ground heater directly to the battery?

Question 2: Running with this difference between gauge and MS, which one is the right one? I guess the Innovate gauge is right, because no reference voltage is needed, or if needed, it is set in the gauge.

PS 1: Yes, I have configured both outputs on my LC-1, 0-5v 7.35-22.39 for the gauge and 0-5v 10:20 for MS.

Thanks!!
arran
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Wideband grounding question

Post by arran »

Should not the heater be grounded to the main chassis, and the LC-1 signal ground go to Megasquirt signal ground?

Would a discrepancy between MS and LC-1 be just to do with the calibration of the analogue signal in the MS?
RX7 Series 2 13B Turbo. Megasquirt 3 with 3X Expander and V3 CPU. Firmware 1.4.1
Knock module, twin EGT, real time clock, WBO2, full sequential fuel and spark
http://web.aanet.com.au/arran
nano
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nano »

Hi arran,

do you recommend grounding the heater directly to the main chassis? I'll try this today. I didn't done the MS calibration for the wideband, I'm just using 0-5v 10-20 AFR Innovate PLX. Would be better to use Custom Linear Wideband then adjust values to match the gauge?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

nano wrote:PS 1: Yes, I have configured both outputs on my LC-1, 0-5v 7.35-22.39 for the gauge and 0-5v 10:20 for MS.
You're using different calibrations so you'll never get the correct value. Use the same calibration on both.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
nano
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nano »

Thank you! I'll try that
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 2swe »

Hi, I'm observing the same difference between TS and innovate DB gauge, the gauge shows about 0,2AFR richer.

I've set both outputs to output 2,5v (2,5v @ 7,35afr, and 2,5v @ 22,39afr)
multimeter confirms 2,51v on both outputs
gauge shows 14,7AFR
TS shows 14,9AFR, and 2,51 "Front bank O2 voltage"

22,39 - 7,35 = 15,04
15,04 / 2 = 7,52
7,52 + 7,35 =14,87 AFR @ 2,5v That makes me think, TS is closer to truth...

I've also tried setting both outputs to 0v, both TS and gauge read 7,35-7,40 AFR, thats OK.
with both outputs set to 5v, TS reads 22,2 and gauge 21,8
with factory default settings 0-5v @ 7,35-22,39afr, and o2 sensor exposed to free air, TS shows 22,2 and gauge 21,8/21,9 , I believe 22,2 is closer to reality..

what do you think?
1978 vw golf gti 16v itb cop full sequential MS2
1992 vw corrado 16v moonlight blue MS2
arran
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arran »

Yes, when I was running a LC-1 I grounded the heater to the chassis.
nano wrote:Hi arran,

do you recommend grounding the heater directly to the main chassis? I'll try this today. I didn't done the MS calibration for the wideband, I'm just using 0-5v 10-20 AFR Innovate PLX. Would be better to use Custom Linear Wideband then adjust values to match the gauge?
RX7 Series 2 13B Turbo. Megasquirt 3 with 3X Expander and V3 CPU. Firmware 1.4.1
Knock module, twin EGT, real time clock, WBO2, full sequential fuel and spark
http://web.aanet.com.au/arran