v3.80 spectre ems pro vr sensor signal

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dansaris
MS/Extra Newbie

v3.80 spectre ems pro vr sensor signal

Post by dansaris »

Hello
I have a Suzuki swift with the g13b engine and need some help with the last piece of the puzzle.
I have installed the ems pro and it is getting all the right readings, except rpm.
I am using the stock vr sensor, it is magnetic based 12 toothed running on two wires.
I have connected it as per manual with the signal wire to tach in wire and ground wire to other ground wires.
I have tried reversing polarity from the dip switch with the same result.
So if anyone would please help with this that would be great, the 94 swift gti is known to be a pain to get the original vr sensor to work with the v3.0 board but I could not find anything about the ems pro v3.80.
There are 4 potentiometers inside the case that can be adjusted. I have them set to minimum at the moment.
Looking forward to hearing from you guys.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: v3.80 spectre ems pro vr sensor signal

Post by Matt Cramer »

MS1 does not support the stock Swift trigger pattern. You'll have to change to a 4 tooth wheel.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
dansaris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dansaris »

So would I be able to modify that wheel? The teeth are at 6, 61 and 91 degrees BTDC.
dansaris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dansaris »

Ok,
So I modified the wheel to 4 teeth and it seemed to work, rough idle and would not rev past 2500. I got the timing as good as I could and then I thought id try to turn the potentiometers a bit in hope of better signal... when the worst that could happen, did happen. I dropped the small metal screwdriver onto the board. The car stalled. No circuit looks to have blown but now I cannot get a rpm reading at all again. I do not know what to do, Is there any way to check the board, all other readings seem to be ok. I am so depressed now, after all this work, I was so close to having the project done. I have spent over 5k on this car and hundreds of hours. I have rebuilt the engine from top to bottom, new turbo, new injectors, it was running and I can still run it on the stock ecu but it was N/A before so I really need to make ems pro work. I cannot find any detailed information about the v3.80 board anywhere.
Please help me :cry:
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

If the board seems to be dead, you'll want to contact your seller.
dansaris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dansaris »

The board seems ok, LED heartbeat turns on, I have communication with tunerstudio and get inputs from all sensors. It's just the rpm that it's not getting signal. No components seem to have blown.
dansaris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dansaris »

Hi, so I got the car running again. The problem is timing or something related with the sensor. So I am using a 4 toothed magnetic pick up in the distributor. It seems to work as the car starts, it is rough though and when I try to get the timing close to where it is meant to be using a timing light it stalls. Any help would be much appreciated, I can provide more info if needed.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

:msq:
dansaris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dansaris »

I hope it is the right format, I started it up, let it idle for a bit then accel a few times. Something is not right.
dansaris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dansaris »

And this is the MSQ as well.
dansaris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dansaris »

Help, anyone? Pleeeeease :-S
dansaris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dansaris »

The attachments are there can someone please help me.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

dansaris wrote:Help, anyone? Pleeeeease :-S
OK, here goes nothin'! :lol:

DISCLAIMER: I know absolutely nothing about MS1 or ems pro! That means I can't help with your tune either!

BUT, there is something in your log that does jump out at me!

Whenever you come off idle, your RPM goes wonky! (our friends from the UK taught me that word. I hope I'm using it properly!) :lol:
I see RPM spiking to 20,000+! :shock:
It would seem to me that you have a serious problem in the cps circuit (or associated hardware, ie wheel to sensor clearance, etc.).
I think you need to look closely at the entire installation, ie. all connections are secure, wiring is properly shielded (screened in the UK... wow, does that make me bilingual?), sensor is installed in a fashion that it can not move, etc.

Not much help I am sure, but might get you headed in the right direction.

Ken
Last edited by kjones6039 on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

That's what I am seeing too - too much RPM noise resulting in an untunable engine.
dansaris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dansaris »

So, I will focus on the VR cables right? Shielding and transistors.