Single coil BIP373 control

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

TomppaHe
MS/Extra Newbie

Single coil BIP373 control

Post by TomppaHe »

Can I run BIP373 straight from FIDLE output like Crane XR700/3000 here? http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/Diz ... lev2.2.htm
Maybe with extra pullup resistor as advised for Bosch ignition units here? http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_ ... .htm#bosch
Here is how it's normally done for BIP373/VB921 http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_ ... nglecoil22

The reason I want to do that -> I'm replacing XR3000 with externally mounted BIP373. I controlled it from FIDLE so I have wiring done from pin 30. Modifying the DB37 connector and car harness is very difficult. Small modification to pcb would be easy but I would like to keep the pin 30 for ignition control. I could cut the pcb copper and run the line from other side of R16 but if that's not necessary I would prefer keeping the pcb intact.

Background info: MSExtra code on V2.2 board, single coil, Crane optical trigger.

Thanks!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Single coil BIP373 control

Post by Matt Cramer »

It could be driven from FIDLE if using a 100 to 330 ohm pull up resistor. Set spark output inverted to no.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
TomppaHe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TomppaHe »

Thanks! I'll try that.
TomppaHe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TomppaHe »

Matt Cramer wrote:It could be driven from FIDLE if using a 100 to 330 ohm pull up resistor. Set spark output inverted to no.
Sorry I need to make sure I don't fry anything...pullup resistor would be in parallel with D9, that is to 12V. Just feels that 100...330R is kind of low there? Did I understand it right?
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

The base signal for a BIP is 5v through a 330 Ohm resistor. What you're setting up is to turn the transistor permanently on, then turn it off by grounding the base signal with the FIdle circuit.
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
TomppaHe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TomppaHe »

dontz125 wrote:The base signal for a BIP is 5v through a 330 Ohm resistor. What you're setting up is to turn the transistor permanently on, then turn it off by grounding the base signal with the FIdle circuit.
Ahaa, so I need to pull it up to 5V, not in parallel with D9 which is connected to 12V. I was thinking that way I would mess up the 12V and 5V circuits but...yes D9 prevents that.