It's Getting COLD. I need help with some settings

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

deathtrapmiata
MS/Extra Newbie

It's Getting COLD. I need help with some settings

Post by deathtrapmiata »

Hello,
Ive had my MSPNP Gen 1 for about a year now, I'm still pretty confused about what to set in cranking pulse widths, and warm up setting.
this is a 94' miata 4cyl
- converted to Toyota COP's so spark settings are different: cranking dwell = 3.5, running dwell = 2.5 and min. discharge period = 0.1
- we have bigger injectors (RX-8 425cc), so a req fuel of 8, and I did compensate for the values in the Priming pulse width tables

using the 94/94 basemap, for the 425cc injectors my Req_fuel is set at 8, with the engine being nice and warm i have an idle PW of ~1.7-2.0 with AFR's ~ 13.4-14.0 and an idle rpm of +/-1000rpm and its pretty steady (thats a first for me!)

Its starting to get into the mid 20's here in North Carolina, in the mornings I crank it up an the engine dies unless i hold the throttle, after that, i have an rapidly oscillating idle until it gets warm.
- AFR's at cold start, immediately following getting it started are 14.8-15.0...didn't know if that was too high or not.

also its getting harder to get the engine to crank, I turn the key and it turns over for a while longer than usual and then starts, If i dont hit the throttle it dies.

I need some insight on what to target first as far as my cranking,priming and warmup tables
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: It's Getting COLD. I need help with some settings

Post by Matt Cramer »

:msq:
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
dave
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: It's Getting COLD. I need help with some settings

Post by dave »

might want to try a little more fuel on the warmup table. Also play with the after-start enrichment, that's good for catching the engine in that first 10-20 secs until it's totally out of the starting funk and just going off warmup table. My AFR's are 12-13's here but it's pretty smooth.

tuning this part of the table is rough, you only get one shot and then the car is warm for the next few hours. Be sure to take a log and keep notes, it's been my mistake. The length of time until it's cold again I forget details.
basically have to make a morning routine out of it for a while or something. Mine still isn't totally ironed out yet either.