Confusion building Zeal Board for VR conditioning

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Vanguard
MS/Extra Newbie

Confusion building Zeal Board for VR conditioning

Post by Vanguard »

Hello All,

I just finishing building a Ms1 2.2 along with the stim. Running MSExtra for spark and fuel. every testing out great.

I must say, It was a lot of fun and quite rewarding building these.

When complete, it will be used on a turbo subaru 2.2 4 cyl with wasted spark. I plan to use the existing VR sensor so I also purchased and built the zeal board to convert the signal to a square wave. This was built to the directions supplied on the DIYautotune website.

Looking through the Mega manual I came across the Vr input sensor wiring for a MS1 V2.2 PCB.

I compared the schematic with the Zeal board I have built and the Zeal board seems incomplete. Several of the resistors and caps which are tied to the LM1815 are free on the other end, i.e. not tied to ground or 5 volts. Also, looking at the 2 conditioners mounted on the board, one seems more complete and has an extra resistor and trace lines.

Do I hook up the zeal board as built or add jumpers to open components and complete the circuits as listed in the schematic ? also do I need to run each lead from the Vr sensor through its own vr conditioner ?

MANY THANKS, looking forward to hearing your comments.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Re: Confusion building Zeal Board for VR conditioning

Post by muythaibxr »

Vanguard wrote: I compared the schematic with the Zeal board I have built and the Zeal board seems incomplete. Several of the resistors and caps which are tied to the LM1815 are free on the other end, i.e. not tied to ground or 5 volts. Also, looking at the 2 conditioners mounted on the board, one seems more complete and has an extra resistor and trace lines.

They are not free. They tie to the ground plane.
Do I hook up the zeal board as built or add jumpers to open components and complete the circuits as listed in the schematic ? also do I need to run each lead from the Vr sensor through its own vr conditioner ?

MANY THANKS, looking forward to hearing your comments.
Just wire it per the instructions from DIY. Nothing extra is required.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
Vanguard
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Vanguard »

ok, thanks for the help. I'll build it up as noted. However i'm still not sure if I use the 1st or 2nd VR conditioner.

I have another question. When using a 2.2 board, as in my case, the zeal board assembly instructions mention removing several resistors, caps, diodes and U4. After reviewing the schematic of the 2.2 board, it appears to me that this is the output circuit which drives the coils.

Does this really need to be removed ? Seems to me that the only thing I want to do is convert the sine wave input to square and this only concerns the input side of the ms1 chip.

Please explain. thanks Eric
ihateforums
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ihateforums »

However i'm still not sure if I use the 1st or 2nd VR conditioner.
Use either one, there's no difference.
I have another question. When using a 2.2 board, as in my case, the zeal board assembly instructions mention removing several resistors, caps, diodes and U4. After reviewing the schematic of the 2.2 board, it appears to me that this is the output circuit which drives the coils.
That circuit is not for driving coils. It is for using the signal from a coil (eg. an existing ignition system that is separate from MS) as the engine speed input to MS. If you want to run your own ignition with the 2.2 board you'll need a BIP373. (V2.2 doesn't normally have an ignition driver on board)
Does this really need to be removed ?
My memory of these circuits is a bit foggy, but you might be able to just bypass the unneeded parts rather than unsoldering them.
Vanguard
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Vanguard »

Yes, now that I think about it, MS I was only intended to be used for fuel control. having it drive an ignition system is the result from mods using MSExtra.

Another user has been coaching me on this. Subi4me is his handle. He recommends using (2) externally mounted (i.e. in the case but not on the 2.2 PCB) BIP 373's as coil drivers.

The drive for the 373's comes by way of removing d17 & d19 and jumping the terminals. Then connect to x11 & x12 respectivly. I'm going to try this and see what happens