Crank angle setting

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

toon3
MS/Extra Newbie

Crank angle setting

Post by toon3 »

I've never really payed much attention tho this since the car has been starting fine. I was reading the manual and it stated that it also affects "running" dwell times.

I have it set at 10 right now. The way I read the manual is, put a timing light on the damper and crank the engine. If the light shows the mark at 8*,9*,10*, enter the corresponding number in the box in tuner studios.

So if return is 8* enter 8 in the box.

Is this correct?
toon3
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Crank angle setting

Post by toon3 »

TTT

Gonna do some tuning tonight want to work on this a bit.
cwdodson88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cwdodson88 »

toon3 wrote:I've never really payed much attention tho this since the car has been starting fine. I was reading the manual and it stated that it also affects "running" dwell times.

I have it set at 10 right now. The way I read the manual is, put a timing light on the damper and crank the engine. If the light shows the mark at 8*,9*,10*, enter the corresponding number in the box in tuner studios.

Is this correct?
umm, this is really not clear. Are you talking about crank (trigger) angle settings, cranking dwell settings, or cranking timing? Way different. If you set the cranking time to "Fixed" and set the time to 10* then you should see 10* on the light. If not then the trigger angle is off. So you will need to set your timing to fixed at like 10* with the car idling, and adjust the trigger angle until it reads 10* on the pulley. Then you can go back and the timing to -40 in order to use table.
toon3
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by toon3 »

cwdodson88 wrote:
toon3 wrote:I've never really payed much attention tho this since the car has been starting fine. I was reading the manual and it stated that it also affects "running" dwell times.

Is this correct?
umm, this is really not clear. Are you talking about crank (trigger) angle settings, cranking dwell settings, or cranking timing? Way different. If you set the cranking time to "Fixed" and set the time to 10* then you should see 10* on the light. If not then the trigger angle is off. So you will need to set your timing to fixed at like 10* with the car idling, and adjust the trigger angle until it reads 10* on the pulley. Then you can go back and the timing to -40 in order to use table.
I'm looking for info on "Cranking timing"

They way I have it configured in TS is what was suggested in the mega manual (the suggested starting off numbers). I have never actually cranked the engine with a timing light and seen what the "real" cranking timing is. After doing some reading, I noticed that this must be done in order to see exactly where the trigger return tooth, in degrees, on the 36-1 wheel is sending it's signal back to MS.

for example, I have the setting in TS set to "10" on the trigger return.

If I crank the engine with a timing light, and during "cranking", I get a reading of 8* on the damper with the timing light.

Do I then enter an 8 in the trigger return box instead of the 10?

Thanks
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 2swe »

:msq:
1978 vw golf gti 16v itb cop full sequential MS2
1992 vw corrado 16v moonlight blue MS2
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

In MS1/Extra, trigger return mode means one of two things.

1. With a wheel decoder, it fires the cranking spark on the return teeth.

2. When used with a Hall effect sensor in distributor mode, it fires the cranking spark on the opposite edge of the Hall sensor from the one used for regular timing.

Either way, trigger return ignores the cranking timing setting.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X