2 questions

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

old guy 2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

2 questions

Post by old guy 2 »

ms1 2.2 board with 029extra. assy box and stim and all tests good. 1. some drop down menus have a burn button. when do I use this button and what does it do. 2. down loaded a lsx 5.3 tune from sloppy mechanics with 80 lb injectors. made another program with 25 lb injectors and both ve tables are the same. this doesn't seem correct to me. I must be doing something wrong but I don know what. I have the box hooked to laptop and ms1 stim powered up. don't have datalogging and I don't know what msq is yet but ill find out.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 2 questions

Post by Matt Cramer »

old guy 2 wrote:ms1 2.2 board with 029extra. assy box and stim and all tests good. 1. some drop down menus have a burn button. when do I use this button and what does it do.
It saves the settings to the ECU's FLASH memory.
2. down loaded a lsx 5.3 tune from sloppy mechanics with 80 lb injectors. made another program with 25 lb injectors and both ve tables are the same. this doesn't seem correct to me.
The VE table does not actually include the injector size. The injector behavior is accounted for with the Required Fuel number, injector dead time and battery voltage correction settings, and if applicable, PWM current limiting.

I can understand your skepticism over the VE tables being the same from one tune to the other, though. This sounds like either (A) the 80 lb/hr injector tune was made on a stock-ish engine with oversized injectors but no mods that actually needed them, or (B) whoever posted the table hadn't yet tuned it for the mods the injector size required. Or possibly (C) the 25 lb/hr tune was actually done on a motor that required more fuel than the 25 lb/hr injectors would support.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
old guy 2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy 2 »

the 25 lb injector tune was me learning how to use tuner studieos. the 80 lb injector tune came from sloppy mechanics, the ls1 guys, the guy with the 9 second fairmont. they are stock motors with cam, springs, a turbos and 80 lb injectors. they built a bunch of stuff so im sure they have a handle on it. what i cant figure out is when i download his tune, the ve chart looks the same as the 25 lb chart. i dont think im getting his 80 lb ve chart. the download says there are errors-10000 rpm with 70% slip- whatever that means. thanks for the reply guys. ill keep at it. ive got time as there is 2 1/2 feet of snow on the ground.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Please post the tune you started with and the tune you are trying to load into the MS.
old guy 2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy 2 »

here is the 80 lb injector copyed into my ms1. and a 25 il tune I made.
old guy 2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy 2 »

matt, this 80 lb tune is wrong one ignor last reply and ill try to got right this time.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Please also post the 80 lb/hr injector tune file you were starting from.
old guy 2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy 2 »

here is sloppy mech 80 lb injector tune untouched.
old guy 2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy 2 »

matt, cant get ms1extra_turbo 5.3 into tuner studio without loading into ms1 first. if I load it, it will look like last tune I attached.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Ok, yes, they have the same VE table. Where did you get the 25 lb/hr injector tune?
old guy 2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy 2 »

i made the 25 lb injector tune from scratch learning tuner studios. i assumed that the small number ve table always comes up when building from scratch. is that the standard issue numbers for scratch built tunes? the other ve table numbers ive seen for 5.3 turbo motors seem to run from 20s at idle to 100 in low boostwith 80 lb injectors. thanks for your help.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

If you'd built the tune from scratch, completely, the VE table would be full of zeros. It's a good thing you didn't do this.

If you built the 25 lb/hr tune from the 80 lb/hr tune, and did not alter the VE table, was there a reason you were expecting the VE table to be different?
old guy 2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy 2 »

I made the 25 lb tune from "new project" filling in the required info asked for. I expected the 80 lb numbers to be bigger due to that tune having a turbo. you have to start throwing lots of fuel at it at 100 kpa and higher. being new to tune it yourself, I could be way off base. I made 2 more tunes from new project and both had same ve table numbers as the one I sent you. I also reloaded 029extra just to make sure that was correct. thanks again.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

old guy 2 wrote:I made the 25 lb tune from "new project" filling in the required info asked for. I expected the 80 lb numbers to be bigger due to that tune having a turbo. you have to start throwing lots of fuel at it at 100 kpa and higher. being new to tune it yourself, I could be way off base. I made 2 more tunes from new project and both had same ve table numbers as the one I sent you. I also reloaded 029extra just to make sure that was correct. thanks again.
You are correct in saying that the turbo tune needs more fuel. HOWEVER, the difference in injector sizes is taken care of in the "Engine Constants" menu option in "Required Fuel". That is where everything is set for the larger injectors/Bigger motor/Power adder.

Usually the VE table will remain the same whether 25lb injectors or 80lb injectors, its the required fuel setting and the other settings in the "Engine Constants" menu option that determines how much fuel. The VE tables are for the fine tuning.

I should be pretty close with that explanation but Matt or James will correct any of that as needed.
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection
old guy 2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy 2 »

thanks for the reply. since you and matt both say the ve table numbers should be ok, ill try the existing numbers in the ve table and go from there. i understand and agree with what you said about engine constants and that nice wizzard to set fuel required. i still have much to learn so i put my ego in my pocket and ask questions. having been around for some time, i learned that if you dont know how it works, you will never be able to fix it. thanks again. the cars been on the road for 2 years with a blow thru holley. it runs fine except for high 11 afr at cruse. i need to play with air bleeds or try fuel inj for the heck of it. 84 mustang with 5.3 chevy, t76 ball bearing water coooled turbo, th400 and 8.8 rear with 3:08. it a fun street car.