Erratic tach probe 2.2 12-1 distributor

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

savagerocco
Master MS/Extra'er

Erratic tach probe 2.2 12-1 distributor

Post by savagerocco »

I have an ms1 extra on an 89 ford probe. Has a 2.2l turbo. We modified the stock distributor to a 12-1 wheel, ie we took two teeth, each oposite of each other and left 11 teeth in between. I get a good pattern on the oscilloscope off the vr sensors and looking at the pattern on Tsel i am getting a clean patter, but rpm is all over the place and not stable at all. When looking at the tooth logger, I am not getting a even pattern. I am getting double tall lines and from short to medium on the 11 between the tall lines. I have adjusted the voltage and hysteresis pots untill I no longer get a patter at Tsel, but something is just odd.

I have a signal interceptor board that I am pulling the vr signal from that and have a test point on the Tsel for the conditioner output. everything looks fine untill it hits the processor and it just doesn't like it. This was previously a running car, owner changed the distributor and got the air gap too far apart. I adjusted that and get a really clean waveform on the VR and polarity looks fine. Any ideas?
Brent Savage
life behind the zion curtain
90 audi RS2 20VTQ 6sp MS3, MSX COP and Sequential and now MAF
87 Scirocco 2.0 ABA 16v EIP tubular cast MSII COP
86 Audi 4K20VTQ MSII
90 Audi 90 sedan 3.6l DOHC V8TT (project car)
89 VW cabbie (bitch basket) 2.0 ABA Turbo MSII
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Erratic tach probe 2.2 12-1 distributor

Post by Matt Cramer »

:msq:

Also, please attach the problem tooth logs.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
savagerocco
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Erratic tach probe 2.2 12-1 distributor

Post by savagerocco »

I guess I am going to have to wrap my head around the VR setup. I thought for sure I had the polarity correct, but just to make sure I crossed them and all of the sudden the double tall lines went away. I cranked the pots all the way counter clockwise and I have a nice looking tooth pattern and a stable cranking rpm of about 200 rpm. Not really sure yet if there are any more gremlins causing issues, but I should have it running soon and will update.
Brent Savage
life behind the zion curtain
90 audi RS2 20VTQ 6sp MS3, MSX COP and Sequential and now MAF
87 Scirocco 2.0 ABA 16v EIP tubular cast MSII COP
86 Audi 4K20VTQ MSII
90 Audi 90 sedan 3.6l DOHC V8TT (project car)
89 VW cabbie (bitch basket) 2.0 ABA Turbo MSII