MS1 stalling/time out due to wiring mistake.

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

GTi16v
MS/Extra Newbie

MS1 stalling/time out due to wiring mistake.

Post by GTi16v »

Update: I sent the controller to a megasquirt builder and it checked out fine. Held load. He put some heat sync paste on some transistors. When the controller was returned to me the problem was gone! No random stalling and rough idle. I drove it for 30min without any issues. I thought it was fixed until today. I went to start it and <1min of running it stalls. I drove it and took some data logs. See attached. Also, sometimes it feels like it's firing on 2 cylinders but then clears up or controller freezes/cuts out.

Hey MS gurus,

I have had this particular MS1 on my GTI for several years. It is now modified for wasted spark. I was re-doing the fuel injector harness during engine rebuild down time. The car now has a random stalling problem. I am driving the car and randomly it will turn off. I can cycle the key and engine comes back alive instantly (if in gear). I put the controller on a stim and the RPM signal will only stay active for 3 seconds before timing out. All other sensors remain active.

I believe I short circuited the fuel injector harness while redoing the wiring. This is my guess. What should I do for troubleshooting? Nothing on board looks burned.
Last edited by GTi16v on Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS1 stalling/time out due to wiring mistake.

Post by Matt Cramer »

:msq:
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
GTi16v
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by GTi16v »

Uploaded datalogs. See update. Any help is appreciated!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The tooth logger is a special purpose log for troubleshooting RPM input issues. This doesn't seem to be the case here. Can you get a regular data log?
GTi16v
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by GTi16v »

I tried to upload a datalog to the first post but didn't seem to go. Can you see the datalog now?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Unfortunately, the log seems to have lost the signal before the MS stalled out. See if you can grab a few more logs - they'll either show the same thing (in which case, it's stalling BECAUSE the MS shut down) or capture the real cause eventually.
GTi16v
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by GTi16v »

Matt Cramer wrote:Unfortunately, the log seems to have lost the signal before the MS stalled out. See if you can grab a few more logs - they'll either show the same thing (in which case, it's stalling BECAUSE the MS shut down) or capture the real cause eventually.
Ok, will do!

The MS stalls out every time though. When this happens, the fuel pumps stays on (doesn't turn off with relay like it normally does if stalled out). Any indication as to where the problem lies? Tunerstudio does not stay active when the MS stalls out.