how much ignition control from megasquirt?

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

gutshot
MS/Extra Newbie

how much ignition control from megasquirt?

Post by gutshot »

hi guys

I want to get a megasquirt 1 v2.2 running with ms extra code with ignition control for my turbo car
problem is I don't know exactly how much timing control ms1 extra can give me I can't find the information anywhere
I mean exactly how many degrees advance and retard in ignition timing are we talking about?
I've read all the types of ignition systems possible but have not found a definitive answer about how many degrees advance and retard timing I've got to play with
the jaycar programmable ignition kit only gives +/-5 degrees control, with the boost I'm running I need more. 20psi+

any knowledge would be helpful
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: how much ignition control from megasquirt?

Post by jsmcortina »

It depends on what ignition system you install I guess, but typically FULL control.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

I assume the JAYCAR set up is sort of a piggyback add-on?

MS... even an MS1 (running ms1extra firmware) is a full ems, so unless you specifically set it up as some sort of piggyback (which isn't widely done AFAIK) can entirely replace your current ignition system control setup.(you typically lock out any existing advance mechanisms and just supply the triggers)

Many folks go to COPs or CNP coils and crank trigger. You can run waste spark on an 8 cylider or sequential ignition on a six or less if you desire.
(sequential requires a cam sync trigger as well on MS1, ms2e or ms3 can use a single cam speed wheel to run sequential, or the dual wheel setup)

Do a bit of research on what other folks with similar engines use for the setup.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
gutshot
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by gutshot »

thanks guys for the quick reply,
just what I wanted to hear James about full control because I want to try as many ignition set ups as possible, right now I have a distributor system but want to upgrade to 36-1 tooth set up later and need to know that I can have full control of my ignition for both systems with ms extra which is essential for my turbo set up.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Distributors do have a constraint on them - the trigger angle. This is the number of crank degrees between the pulse from the distributor sensor and TDC on the next cylinder. If you're running in "This cylinder" mode (with a trigger angle setting of 50 degrees or more), the maximum timing advance is about 5 degrees less than the trigger angle. If you are running in "next cylinder" mode, the minimum timing advance is 1 degree more than the trigger angle. Other than that, you can set the timing wherever you please.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X