Losing the will!

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

adamswifty
MS/Extra Newbie

Losing the will!

Post by adamswifty »

Hi all,

I've spent the best part of a month troubleshooting engine related problems, hoping you can help as I'm close to the edge!

Quick summary of the Megasquirt (1 V3 board);

Was purchased with a kit car, Megasquirt was professionally assembled for wasted spark, running 36-1 trigger wheel (as per the zetec engine in the car).
Car would always start but only ran on two cylinders, spark was present on all 4. On further investigation only two injectors were active (bank 1), ruled out the injectors by swapping the cables. Started to look at the megasquirt loom and injector banks. Took the board out for a visual check, put it back in the car and it would not start.
No VR signal, spent a long time going round in circles and ended up swapping the VR sensor and component Q22 (suspect I misdiagnosed). After a reasonable amount of further testing, I now have what I believe is a reliable tach reading, (approx. 160 - 170rpm), though I have no spark. The spark/trigger wheel settings have been checked over and over, the LED's no longer light up either. I'm not sure if I've managed to damage a component whilst swapping Q22 or if there is another cause. The coilpack has power, I'm at a loss as to what to check next as this system did used to work.

Any help appreciated!
john.p.clegg
Running MSx/Extra

Re: Losing the will!

Post by john.p.clegg »

Adam
Where in the world are you?
Do you have a stim?

John
adamswifty
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by adamswifty »

Hi,
I'm in Lancashire, I don't have a stim unfortunately.
Guess a question I have is ... should the megasquirt spark leds light irrespective of the state of the coils, etc, presuming it has a tach signal and is configured properly?
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Is that Lancashire UK?

Sounds like you may have more than one fault. I'd start by getting the MS checked out properly. Do do this yourself, you do really need a JimStim. Which will produce the 36-1 tach signal. However, I've repaired lots of MS, and the repair costs are almost always less than the cost of a JimStim.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
john.p.clegg
Running MSx/Extra

Post by john.p.clegg »

Adam

You have PM..

John