Swapping from MS2 Extra to MS1 Extra

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

fj1289
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Swapping from MS2 Extra to MS1 Extra

Post by fj1289 »

Have been running a 4 cylinder air cooled motorcycle for 2+ years on a microsquirt module based ECU.

Now trying to get it running on an MS1 Extra ECU.

Setup for the MS1 Extra is a lot different from the MS2 Extra setup. Took a while, but according to the timing light I've got the ignition settings figured out (24-2 wheel)

Having issues with fuel on starting. I don't see a cranking pulse width table like in MS2 Extra. So I've been tweaking the Priming Pulse Width. Plugs have been wet and I get an occasional pop out the exhaust.

Latest msq and two short cranking logs attached - should show the differences in Priming Pulse Width.

Any advice? Battery is charging back up again.

Thanks!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Swapping from MS2 Extra to MS1 Extra

Post by jsmcortina »

Why are you going backwards to MS1 ?

Yes the tuning interface and settings are a lot more clunky. MS2 has had years more development and refinement.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
fj1289
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fj1289 »

Thanks James

I have been using a tailored ECU for another motorcycle based on a microsquirt module. After several issues with it, I updated the firmware (losing some of the "custom" options it came with) in order to resolve the issues -- getting scrambled settings after updating a tune, conflicts on settings that have been good for several weeks, periodic serial comms issues, etc. Firmware seemed to load OK, but scrambled the tune again. While resetting the tune it locked up and won't talk to the laptop anymore.

I previously bought an Megasquirt (I thought was an MS2) for another project. Turns out it is MS1 (now I know to open it up and look first!). So I thought the simple answer would be to hook up the MS1 and just lose a couple functions (2nd stage of N2O and sequential shift kill). But it has proved to be much more difficult than that. Actually more difficult than the initial install of the microsquirt module based ECU.

I just ordered a microsquirt last night - I'll save this "project" for later
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Try reloading the MS2's firmware using the boot jumper - this will reset things.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

fj1289 wrote:Thanks James

I have been using a tailored ECU for another motorcycle based on a microsquirt module. After several issues with it, I updated the firmware (losing some of the "custom" options it came with) in order to resolve the issues -- getting scrambled settings after updating a tune, conflicts on settings that have been good for several weeks, periodic serial comms issues, etc. Firmware seemed to load OK, but scrambled the tune again. While resetting the tune it locked up and won't talk to the laptop anymore.

I previously bought an Megasquirt (I thought was an MS2) for another project. Turns out it is MS1 (now I know to open it up and look first!). So I thought the simple answer would be to hook up the MS1 and just lose a couple functions (2nd stage of N2O and sequential shift kill). But it has proved to be much more difficult than that. Actually more difficult than the initial install of the microsquirt module based ECU.

I just ordered a microsquirt last night - I'll save this "project" for later
Assuming a V3 board, the only difference between MS1 and 2 is the processor. You can simply unplug the MS 1 chip and replace it with an MS2 daughter board, and then use the software you're used to.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

IIRC, you also need to remove a jumper (S12???) when changing the processor back to MS1. I will look at the schematics later. When I get my honey-do's done...... :lol:

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
fj1289
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fj1289 »

Up and running on Microsquirt!

I did try reloading the firmware on the Microsquirt module based ECU. Appears to have worked, so it will be set aside to go on the drag bike at the end of the year.

Thanks for the inputs and the help!