Missing trigger pulse

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

icebox
MS/Extra Newbie

Missing trigger pulse

Post by icebox »

Hello,

I'm having bit of hard time figuring out what is wrong on my friends project that I'm working on.
We are running Ms1 v2.2 029y4a on a Toyota 4 cylinder engine, VAG cop coils, honeywell 1gt101dc on a 12-1 wheel.

For some reason I'm getting only 10-1 signals on tunerstudio teeth logger. I suspected at first that there was something wrong with the
triggering so I changed to new sensor and made new trigger wheel (old wheel was 6-1 and the sensor had become loose and had small scratch in the end).

Still the same, logger shows 10 pulses and one missing. I tried changing to another megasquirt but it's still the same.

So far I have tried 3 different sensors, 3 different megasquirts (all ms1 v2.2), taken relay board off and connected wires directly to megasquirt & added separate relays. Made new project from the scratch and entered all values manually after firmware update. I have tried changing the position of the missing tooth to pretty much all positions.

Below is photo of the signal scoped from the IRQ-1 of the processor. I have tried grounding pulses also, but the result is same.

In the attached datalogs engine is started without spark plugs, also coils / injectors / idle control is disconnected.

When checking with timing light, current setup gives spark a in correct position and spark b about 20-30 degrees btdc.

Did I just miss something from the manual or am I having an actual problem here? To me it seems that for some reason the processor is skipping one of the pulses.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Missing trigger pulse

Post by Matt Cramer »

The tooth log is not the same as a scope - it is the time between pulses. So the best way to explain this is that you have 10 regular height teeth plus a double-height tooth makes 12.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
icebox
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by icebox »

That actually makes sense. Any ideas why there is difference between spark a and spark b output angle or should I start the car and see how the angle handles at higher rpm?
I forgot to mention that I haven't started the car yet because I wanted to have good trigger before going further.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

That's usually a sign of wrong trigger positions set, but this appears to be OK.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X