Stuck in boot mode

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

85crawler
MS/Extra Newbie

Stuck in boot mode

Post by 85crawler »

Here is the problem, Im setting up a megasquirt system on my toyota pickup and am having trouble flashing the firmware. The unit is a ms1 v3 board only controlling fuel on a chevy tbi that I adapted to the 22r.

With the stock firmware I was able to connect to tuner studio and everything was fine other than the calibration for the toyota coolant temp sensor. Being a megasquirt 1 I had to use easy therm to alter the firmware with the correct temp values. I followed the instructions to flash the MS in boot mode but the flash failed after sending the 1700ish lines and now wont respond.

Tuner studio does not see it but when I test the port connection with easy therm it sees the ecu but says its in boot mode even with the jumper out. I dont have any screen shots at the moment, Im at work, but I have found some others showing the same error from easy therm, Ill find it and post in a bit. Can post screen of mine later this evening when I get to the shop.

I have been searching all over and found nothing that has worked, any input would be greatly appreciated!

FWIW This isnt my first go around with a MS system, I have setup a couple others but they were the MS2 system and didnt need a reflash to calibrate the non-GM sensors.

Project overview:

1985 Toyota pickup 4x4, 22r with a GM TBI from a 4.3, injectors from a 2.8 (33#/hr), LC2 wideband.
Megasquirt wired for fuel only, stock toyota VAST for ignition.
85crawler
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Stuck in boot mode

Post by 85crawler »

Here are some screen of what I am getting.
bootmode.PNG
bootload error.PNG
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

That message is normal if you have not removed the boot jumper while loading firmware.

If you have removed it, check the voltage across the boot jumper.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
85crawler
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 85crawler »

Matt Cramer wrote:That message is normal if you have not removed the boot jumper while loading firmware.

If you have removed it, check the voltage across the boot jumper.
It says that regardless if the jumper is in place or not, even after a couple power cycles.

There is 2v at the boot jumper and a good 5v signal to the cpu, but I did notice that when trying to flash the 5v leads would drop to around 2v.

One other thing I forgot to mention was when I was originally flashing the cpu the battery voltage was starting to drop, not sure if there is a threshold that would cause it to fail.

Thanks!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

This may be a damaged processor.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
85crawler
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 85crawler »

Thats kinda what its looking like to me. :cry:

It was working just fine other than the coolant temp sensor...

Ive spent the last 2 days on every corner of the internet trying different tests and nothing seems to fix it and I cant find anything physically wrong with the board, no burnt traces, voltages good across the board (except when flashing as mentioned above). Probably should have paid attention to the battery voltage lol.

Guess Ill upgrade to the ms2 processor and avoid all this, I just went the cheaper route since its going in a rock crawler fuel only. Would have done that from the get go but didnt realize you had to reflash the ms1 to calibrate the temp sensors, I thought it was the same as the ms3 I setup last.