MGB with MSX head and ITBs

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

simenon
MS/Extra Newbie

MGB with MSX head and ITBs

Post by simenon »

I have long history of problems mostly with ignition, so will tray to make long story short:
During checking of ignition time I noticed that engine suddenly lost spark on cylinder 1 and 4. I had problem already before that engine that previously ran just does not want to star anymore or if starts it sounds like that is running on only 3 cylinders. Because of that I eliminate supercharger and create new project with NA engine, drop a bit fuel pressure to get from 330 cc/min only 290.
As I mentioned before noticed problem of ignition during checking of ignition time I lost trigger signal for ignition light. Moving pick up from one spark plug cable to another I realized that I got trigger only on spark plug 2 and 3. I disconnected plugs and also visually confirmed that on 1 and 4 is no spark. I replaced coil pack with spare one but I still didn’t get sparks an all plugs.

At the end both ignition drivers were change to BIP373 without any progress so after that was unit sent to expert for testing and MS1 ran on car with same setup and sent back to me.

I installed unit back to my MGB and find problem with Injector bank 2. It doed not deliver GND signal so no fuel on injectors 2 and 3. I follow advice and changed to batch fueling with all 4 injectors on bank 1 and engine starts. It was late evening, I was happy so decide to continue tuning today.
But when I tried to start engine I noticed that LEDs D14 and D16 do not indicates igniting events. I dismantled ignition plugs to visual check and can confirm that is no sparks present.

Setup:
Megasquirt 1 with ver. 3
Waste spark setup with 36-1 trigger wheel, VR sensor and Ford coil, pack
4 x 38 mm ITB (from Suzuki GSXR600 K5), 4 x 290 cc/min @ 2,5 bar

MGB with MSX crossflow head, bored to 1950 ccm, currently natural aspirated.
Engine has also Eaton supercharger set for 8 PSI but is due EFI problems discounted so engine acts as NA.

Any advice?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MGB with MSX head and ITBs

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'd check the outputs on a JimStim and see how they work there.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X