MAP sensor malfunction

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

MAP sensor malfunction

Post by lekman »

My MapDaddy 4 bars mapsensor just gave up. The readings kind of get stuck at low levels. first it stayed at 33 KPa. No changes at all and the engine didn't run, almost at all. I had 33 KPa also at a stopped engine.Then I disconnected the hose to the box and suddenly the readings was 100 KPa with the engine stopped. I started it and it worked for a while. Then the readings stopped at 60 KPa instead. Once it helped to hit the box slightly. Then nothing helped, readings are static at 60 KPa.
Guess I have to buy a new MapDaddy? First I hoped that it could be some problems in the firmware, but now Im convinced that its a mechanical/reading problem within the Map Sensor.
I have had the inlet to the box facing upwards, was that a bit stupid?

/Lars
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MAP sensor malfunction

Post by Matt Cramer »

They can have problems if you get oil blow-by in the sensor. You could use some sort of catch-can with the in and out barbs both on the top.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lekman »

I will try to make some type of catch can, and perhaps also turn the box upside down. I have ordered a new sensor, I suppose that the old one is gone

/Lars
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

I had the same problem with oil.
My map sensor is external (Microsquirt) and within 12 inches of the engine.
I made a longer vacuum line and looped it, and also added a fuel filter that I hope is enough to condense the oil vapour and drop it before it gets to the sensor.

I repaired my mapdaddy by buying and replacing the MPXH6400A. I think the sensor was less than $10 to buy.
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!