audi 80 2.0 16v(6a) Doesn't wanne run for long

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Loempia
MS/Extra Newbie

audi 80 2.0 16v(6a) Doesn't wanne run for long

Post by Loempia »

Hello

I am an noob with megasquirt experience, I did some research on the internet and thougt it would not be an big problem to convert my engine to ms.

i have the ms 1 with the v3.0 board and with the latest firmware. Running wasted spark setup with de VAG 106B coil, And Vw ABF throttle body with tps sensor on the manifold, Other than that the engine is pretty much stock. Did instal the 034 motorsport vr sensor with 60 -2 triggerwheel. and an lc2 wideband 02 sensor.

three days ago i had the engine finally running. And thought about tuning it further the next day, But i am not getting it to run again.

It runs a little while but dies after some 5 seconds. Trigger signal looks goed in tunerstudio and the engine gets an nice spark. the coil is not getting hot either.

I got the exaust off the car to check if it was plugged up or something like that. but that is not the case.

If the car starts it runs a little rich, and than it will going lean and dies. I have no clue why it does that. Fuel pressure maby? I did swap out the pressure regulator, but nothing helps..

I have an very short log file. Maby somebody has an clue what is going on. And has some good tips and advice.
2015-10-03_15.29.28.msl
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: audi 80 2.0 16v(6a) Doesn't wanne run for long

Post by 2swe »

it needs more after start enrichment, and also you should disable acceleration enrichments for now.
1978 vw golf gti 16v itb cop full sequential MS2
1992 vw corrado 16v moonlight blue MS2
Loempia
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Loempia »

2swe wrote:it needs more after start enrichment, and also you should disable acceleration enrichments for now.
I Just tried give it some more enrichment, It made no diffrent. Starts up fine and dies after few seconds. It does not matter how much fuel i give the engine.

how can i turn off acceleration enrichments? i cannot find that.

I am thinking about going to test the fuel pressure to the injectors, But i don't have that equipment here.

something else that i did notice, Is that the engine doesn't wants to run at all if i use speed density mode. Only wants to run for an few seconds on alpha N.
2015-10-04_15.16.54.msl
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 2swe »

:msq:
Loempia
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Loempia »

audi8016v.msq
forgot about this file, Sorry.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

I don't know what you did to your VE and spark maps, but they are well and truly messed up. You might consider going back to the default maps in the downloaded .zip file.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Loempia
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Loempia »

ok, I checked the fuel pressure and that is ok, Going to an stock map again, The map was messed up because of trying things out to getting it to run, Still think its strange that the engine ran fine Wednesday en the next day is dead.
Loempia
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Loempia »

ok, tried loading the stock map with stock tables, and result is the same, Runs for 3 a 4 seconds and dies. Getting really tired of this. Thinking that the megasquirt computer itself is just bad, Of something in that direction.

Also did an compression test on the engine itself, and that is just fine to.
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 2swe »

did you disable accel/decel enrichment ?

maybe you should add some more spark advance, 6° is not too much, I'd try 12-15°, the engine will be happier.

did you check base timing with timing light ?

I see you don't have any wideband lambda, you will definitely need one.

how does the engine smell like when running ?

what injectors are you using ? flow ?
Loempia
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Loempia »

2swe wrote:did you disable accel/decel enrichment ?

maybe you should add some more spark advance, 6° is not too much, I'd try 12-15°, the engine will be happier.

did you check base timing with timing light ?

I see you don't have any wideband lambda, you will definitely need one.

how does the engine smell like when running ?

what injectors are you using ? flow ?
I do have an wideband, innovate LC2 sensor, but had the catalytic converter removed for checking if that thing was plugged up or destroyed. Now i have it back installed.
accel/decel enrichment is off .

With the stock tables it has more spark advence, that doesn't help, I did check the timing with an Timing Light, The spark plugs are getting black so its getting enough fuel i guess, cleaned them up.
first tried it with 170cc injectors, Now i have 360cc injectors installed, All high impedance, Checked with an multimeter. The engine smells somewhat rich.

Really have no clue why it does not keep running. the motor really start easy and doesn't sound bad running and than dies.
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 2swe »

I have 1,8 16v KR with throttle bodies, running 340cc injectors.
in my datalogs, I can see cca 2,8ms PW after cold start with ASE on, when the ASE ends PW goes to 2,1ms.

did you try to open the throttle to keep engine running ? maybe you should open the throttle little bit, I think 1500-1600rpm at cold idle is not too high.
Loempia
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Loempia »

2swe wrote:I have 1,8 16v KR with throttle bodies, running 340cc injectors.
in my datalogs, I can see cca 2,8ms PW after cold start with ASE on, when the ASE ends PW goes to 2,1ms.

did you try to open the throttle to keep engine running ? maybe you should open the throttle little bit, I think 1500-1600rpm at cold idle is not too high.

Yes i did many times.
Had just the engine running at 3000rpm with the foot on the throttle and kept running, but it was way way way to rich, little less rich and it dies again.Getting really angry now with this, just threw the ecu against an concrete wall :oops:
Loempia
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Loempia »

2015-10-07_14.25.32.msl
2015-10-07_14.31.59.msq

i got the 170cc injectors back in the car, Got all the old gas out of the tank, And put fresh gas in the tank. Still the same result, Runs for a bit and dies again, Still have no clue what to do next.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Your coolant and air temperature readings are WAY different - can you check to make sure both sensors read properly?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Loempia
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Loempia »

Matt Cramer wrote:Your coolant and air temperature readings are WAY different - can you check to make sure both sensors read properly?
The sensors are not perfect indeed, But the engine was not complete cold anymore. the the engine temp sensor is reading a little to high indeed but not really much of target.
Loempia
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Loempia »

This Topic Can Be closed. Had some time today to take a new look again. Found that i had my injector settings wrong.

Stupid mistake. Glad it is running again, Now i have to find my GM air temp sensor back to install and going to have it tuned.