Resets on boost and idle

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

kiroileva_fossiili
MS/Extra Newbie

Resets on boost and idle

Post by kiroileva_fossiili »

I have been trying to figure out my reset issues for a couple of months now with no success. Car is Volvo 242, B230 turbo engine, E85 fuel and MS1 V3.0 (self assembled).

Megasquirt resets always when boost comes up. Usually hits about 150kpa. It resets just when turbo starts to spool. It also resets sometimes at idle. Idle resets were cured for a moment when changed plugs from Denso to NGK but they came back when I tried an other wasted spark coil today. Car free revs to the rev limiter.

I have used many ground wires and megasquirt is grounded at engine block. Sensors are grounded at megasquirt. +12V comes straight past car's original fuse box to a better fuse box and to megasquirt's relays. There is a radio interference suppressor at megasquirts +12v.

Wasted spark coil is Bosch 0221503407 and there is a capasitor in coil +12v. I am using two BIP373 as in this manual http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... squirt.htm They are located near the coil outside of the MS box and grounded to firewall. Plugs are 5k ohm and spark plug connectors also 5k ohm.

Injectors are high resistance so no injector PWM. A cap is added to injector driver to stabilize the voltage.
Taking connector of the PWM idle valve doesn't cure the problem.
The MS 1 itself has ONE weak spot for resets. Pin 6 on the CPU, which is Inverse reset ( Pull the pin low and MS resets, even for a microsecond pulse that goes to below some 1,3 V. The pin is held high by an internal pullup resistor in the chip, and the equivalent R is several MegOhms. An easy fix/safeguard is to install a 100 nF polyester cap between pin 6 and pin 2 ( which is ground)of the CPU. This will make the energy required to create a reset much higher, and radiated emissions will not be able to do that in a typical car environment. Have used it several times with good result. Any good quality 100 nF 10 V cap with 5 mm lead spacing will do.
And if you run the MS1 CPU:
Go for the added 100 nF caps ( 4 off, solder straight on the the
processor socket pins) Pin 1-2 , 2-6, 19-20 and 31-32)
Try to get 100 nF caps with leg spacing of 2,54 mm, then they fit real nice , except for the
2-6 pin cap, which straddles 3 pins.Voltage rating of 10 V is OK, higher does not hurt.
But kep them physically small, maybe also a dab of glue to keep them from vibrating.
^^These capasitors are also installed.

Plugs, plug leads and the coil are replaced, so problem might not be there? D11 diode is replaced, because when assembling, I installed it wrong way for a moment. I have reflashed the firmware and now using HR10G, but also tried the normal extra code.
Last edited by kiroileva_fossiili on Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Reset on boost (and idle)

Post by WillExoIX »

I started with MS1 as well and had reset issues on my Camaro(self assembled MSv3). I delt with it for a while, then decided to upgrade to the MS2 cpu. All resets dissapeared. Pretty sure its the MS1 cpu itself (though I have no tech data to back that up), as the MS2 cpu has better onboard filtering for the power supply, IIRC.
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection
kiroileva_fossiili
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Reset on boost (and idle)

I will try that and will update if it helps or not :) New processor comes maybe next week.

I have now reflowed nearly all solders again and connected Megasquirt + and - directly to the battery (which is moved to the trunk), but it didn't do anything. I will also try messing with my alternator and try #16 here http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/V3trouble.htm even though my injectors are high z. (Run Q9 and Q12 12v pins to injector +12v feed.)
kiroileva_fossiili
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Resets on boost and idle -> New problem, crystal or cpu?

While trying to fix the resets, I ran in to bigger problems... I tried to run Q12 and Q9 center legs to injector +12v feed as in my previous post. Of course the board slipped from my hands and hit the ground. I connected everything and first noticed fp relay was not switching.

Tunerstudio says "invalid data received from controller". Tried reflashing and managed to flash with boot jumper in place but not without. After flashing megasquirt cycled fuel pump when it booted, but after a powercycle it didn't do it anymore. In Tunerstudios if I try to 'Detect device' it founds founds something, but "Firmware: Unknown" and "Baud: 115200" and it is MS1 and should be 9600?

In Mini Terminal, if I write
n
It answers
n - what?

Boot>
If I write
h
It answers
h (P)rogram (W)ipe (U)pgrade e(X)it
And if I answer "X" I am able to to get Tunerstudio to connect megasquirt. It seemed quite normal but it showed 0,0V as a voltage and if I powercycle, then I am not able to connect anymore. Clock goes from 0 to 255.

What component I might have been damaged? Nearly everything works but still something doesn't. I think mov1 hit the floor hardest, could it be broken? Or cpu or crystal? Voltages on the board seemed normal.
kiroileva_fossiili
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Resets on boost and idle

Found the problem! :D Megasquirt was in bootloader mode. When I lifted Q12 middle pin, I damaged the board and 12V was not going to R3 anymore and that makes it to go to bootloader.

Back to the actual reset problem -> I moved my ignition coil and ignitor to engine compartment. Maybe the coil was too near Megasquirt, it was installed like that: (Old picture)
https://goo.gl/photos/ptotH22syRNeFmN69

Seems like it helped, but didn't test much yet :) I'm so happy if I finally found the problem.