MS1e New Random Resets Issue

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

TwinScrew20v
MS/Extra Newbie

MS1e New Random Resets Issue

Post by TwinScrew20v »

Hey guys, I started havin a problem with my MS1e system this morning and I'm in a bit of a time crunch so I'm posting here while I trouble shoot. I'm suddenly getting random 'resets'. I've had this exact setup in the car as is for at least 2000 miles with no reset issues, and 15000 miles with various changes. I had the car painted not too long ago and started putting miles on it recently, probly around 30 with no ECU related issues, but my battery was shot and totally crapped out this morning. That and a fresh tank of gas (smells good and I see no signs of water) are the only changes between the 30 no issue miles and my last 10 reset plagued miles. The car is a VW 12v VR6 with an MS1e V3.0 running HR10g with three MSD 8448 coils (GM style). I had a reset issue with I first converted from the VW coil packs to the MSDs and solved that with Dwell setting changes, but .3 up or down had no affect on my resets this afternoon. I did notice the 'Battery Gauge' reads a bit over 11.88 low versus 12.2 actual with the car off and I didn't know if the battery correction needed to be adjusted with the new battery (Ive never adjusted it in the past or had any other issues). I havent found any pattern, idle, under load, coasting, it'll happen any time. Anyone have any ideas? Could this be a bad coil pack or am I really having an ECU voltage issue (will 11.5V or less shut down?) Thanks guys.
datalog201511051521.xls
megasquirt201511050650.msq
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS1e New Random Resets Issue

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Fresh paint always makes me thing bad or just disturbed grounds. battery to body, body or battery to engine straps etc.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
TwinScrew20v
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TwinScrew20v »

I stripped all of the ground points to bare metal before reassembly (cleaner than they were before paint honestly). And I've been driving after paint for 30 miles no issue until I swapped the battery and got gas this morning.

Ive also ruled out coil packs as I've swapped them for another set Ive run previously with no issue and I still have resets.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Where exactly are the grounding points?

Are you using high or low impedance injectors?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X