AE86 4AGE MS1 ignition issue

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MazdaTurboDK
MS/Extra Newbie

AE86 4AGE MS1 ignition issue

Post by MazdaTurboDK »

Hi

I recently got a AE86 with 4AGE 16v engine with 4 Throttle Bodies.
It is installed with a MS1extra, and the previous owner told that it has been running.
I am strugling to get it fired ud..
Distributor is with a 24 trigger Wheel and 2nd trigger with 4 wings. Remember both are on the CAM.
Both sensors are wired up to MS, but at the moment I have not verified if there are correct connected.
I have my focus at the moment how to configure it.
Trigger angle is 60, and using wheeldecoder.
Little unsure about the rest.
It is at all possible to get it to run stable with a 4 wing 2nd trigger? Guess MS would reset the tooth Count everytime it passes a Wing. If so does the base teeth then need to be 6, and only trig pos A?.
It can roughly Idle.. And does show the correct RPM.. Why I do not know.

My opinion is that 3 wings need to be cut off. and the Wing I leave have to match around 90 deg BTDC? Then set trigger angle to 60, and trig pos A to 2 B to 8, C to 14 and D to 20?
Spark output still needs to be A, because using single Coil.

Any one have any suggestions? Can I make it run with 4 wings on the 2nd trigger Wheel?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: AE86 4AGE MS1 ignition issue

Post by Matt Cramer »

MS2 can handle this; MS1 does not properly handle Nippondenso triggers as it doesn't have enough interrupts and has to poll the second trigger. If upgrading to MS2 is not an option, use the four tooth wheel set for basic trigger.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
MazdaTurboDK
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MazdaTurboDK »

Hi Matt

Thx.
Using it as the basic trigger, I then need to change it to MSn-S,

Will a MS1 be able to handle COP and a 36-1 trigger Wheel without a 2nd trigger Wheel ? Only find examples where a 2ND trigger is needed.
I am aware on the HW mods I need to do on the Spark outputs.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Yes. Missing tooth trigger wheels are a bit easier to handle a second trigger provided the second trigger isn't too close to the missing tooth.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
spyder
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by spyder »

I achieved sequential COP on my MS1 controlled 3SGE engine by removing one tooth from the 24 tooth wheel and simply running 24-1. No need for a second trigger.
It has a cam mounted distributor, very similar to your 4age unit, and the MS1 is fitted with four spark outputs.
Nippondenso COPs from a Hayabusa.