Fast Idle setup

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

toon1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Fast Idle setup

Post by toon1 »

I am trying to wire a vacuum solenoid for Fast idle. There are 2 wires coming out of it. The solenoid is normally "closed" so i need it to open when the key is turned on and go back to closed after the WU cycle is done.

the MS 3 board has been modified to operate the the Solenoid and currently the relay board Jumper J1 is set to V

How do I wire it to open when the key is turned on and shut off when the WU cycle ends?

Thanks
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Fast Idle setup

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Well if the MS v3 board had had a better rated transistor fitted for idle control, but you are using a relay board then the higher rated transistor will still only be operating the relay boards fast idle relay. Sounds to me like it will work the same as any on/off idle valve so just set idle control to B&G on/off. You have the relay jumpered to supply 12v at the moment so just hook one wire of the solenoid up to terminal 6 of the relay board and the other solenoid wire to ground.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
toon1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toon1 »

slow_hemi6 wrote:Well if the MS v3 board had had a better rated transistor fitted for idle control, but you are using a relay board then the higher rated transistor will still only be operating the relay boards fast idle relay. Sounds to me like it will work the same as any on/off idle valve so just set idle control to B&G on/off. You have the relay jumpered to supply 12v at the moment so just hook one wire of the solenoid up to terminal 6 of the relay board and the other solenoid wire to ground.

Thanks, It looks like I set up the V3 board for PWM and not "on/off". I think I need to back to the standard switching transister and try it again.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

What transistor did you use? There is probably no need to change if you used the tip122 or other npn type.
Cheers Luke
toon1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toon1 »

after checking the MS board,it's wired for an "on/off" setup, not PWM.

the question I have now is, do I need to jumper something on the relay board instead of installing the relay?
toon1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toon1 »

forgot to mention, The MS board IS activating the relay. when the temp sensor reaches temp., I hear the relay click.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Need to find out if it is clicking on or clicking off when warm up finishes. Should be clicking off and no voltage should be on terminal 6 after warm up is complete. 12v should be present while warm up is active.
Cheers Luke