Megasquirt1 v2.2 board questions (update)

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Siris
MS/Extra Newbie

Megasquirt1 v2.2 board questions (update)

Post by Siris »

Hello all, this is my first post on this board, I have a turbocharged Saturn that I want to get up and running on an old ms1 2.2. I have modified the board to pick up the hall sensor/and spark output.

Just got a tuning cable last night so I tried powering on the ms with a wallwart. LEDs do not flash, and I have no communication with the computer via the tunerstudio USB serial cable.

I have a solid 12.08v to the ms.

I have checked for voltage across the processor pins, 1, 20, 31, and 2, 19, and 32, and get 4.3v with a harbor freight multimeter.

This ms was originally in a Honda s2000 as a fuel only box, many years ago. Was said to have been pulled, working, and has set on a shelf since.

Any help or suggestions apart from getting an ms2 would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Siris on Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Siris
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Megasquirt1 v2.2 board issues

Post by Siris »

There is a faint, but audible "click" from a component on the board, but I cannot track it down.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

What happens if you try loading firmware with the boot jumper?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Siris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Siris »

No change.

I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue or a communication issue.

When I power on the megasquirt it should flash the LED's for a brief second correct?
Siris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Siris »

Well, that's curious. Tried again today, and it boots up and connects fine.......... Wth......
Siris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Siris »

Moving on, instead of creating a new thread I figured I would bump this one.

I am making a "breakout board" for a transistor circuit(cooling fan), and two inputs (flatshift, map switch), I plan to leave the board in the ms case and insulate it, for a cleaner final installation.

My question is 2 fold, where can I pick up 12v+ gnd and +5v off the 2.2pcb? I'd like to solder in a short jumper wire to pick up my powers and grounds for the output/input circuits.

And the second question is, I know the 2.2pcb has 4 extra output pads that link directly to the db37, but if I wanted to use more than 4 pins on the db37, would I just solder a wire to the bottom of the PCB to piggyback to the db37? What pins would be safe for that? 2-7?
Siris
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Megasquirt1 v2.2 board questions (update)

Post by Siris »

I found the pin out on the schematic, looks like the entire top side of the db37 on the 2.2pcb is connected to ground. Can anyone confirm that?

It also looks like pin 36 is connected to nothing? I guess I could use that as my final output. Or I will have to add a second connector to use my extra out/ins. I guess I could do that, but didn't want a second harness attached to the ms if I could avoid it.

Still unsure of a safe place to connect my 12v, 5v, and ground for my breakout board. Any advise?
Siris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Siris »

Yet another bump.

Looking at the schematic, it looks like I can pull 5v off of the right hand side of d12, and a clean ground from the center of u5. Am I correct?

Left side of d12 should give me 12v as well right?

Is there any issue pulling off d12 for my 5v+ for the active low input for my launch control and map switch?

Any issues pulling gnd from the center of the voltage regulator?
Siris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Siris »

Tried testing my transistor circuit for the fan relay. Hooked up the 12v and heard a pop from the megasquirt. Processor is now getting hot, and tunerstudio can no longer find the ms.

Pretty sure I popped the CPU. Yay. Apparently the transistor I used either was not a NPN, or I got the pin out backwards and mixed up the emmiter and the collector.

Any tests I can do for the processor before I call it dead and order a replacement?

This sucks.
Siris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Siris »

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Siris wrote:And the second question is, I know the 2.2pcb has 4 extra output pads that link directly to the db37, but if I wanted to use more than 4 pins on the db37, would I just solder a wire to the bottom of the PCB to piggyback to the db37? What pins would be safe for that? 2-7?
The only pin that's going to work for is pin 36.
I found the pin out on the schematic, looks like the entire top side of the db37 on the 2.2pcb is connected to ground. Can anyone confirm that?
Confirmed.

Most of the ground pins and 12V source pins will all work the same. I prefer to use the ground side of the unused zener diodes for grounding circuits.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X