ms1 on a rover v8. fault finding

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

theviper1987
MS/Extra Newbie

ms1 on a rover v8. fault finding

Post by theviper1987 »

Right the problem I'm having is. Every now and again I get a miss/hiccup. The fuel pump relay clicks off and on instantly, the rev counter bounces and the lights on the ecu flashes off then back on. Some times it will keep running, some times it cuts out.
Iv put a multimeter to the relay and when it clicks 
I'm getting 12v up the ignition wires(brown)
I loose the earth from the ecu,(not sure if i loose the earth or it spikes to a posative. it happens that fast I can't see that volts on the multimeter (blue/purple)
Which in turn I loose the 12v going to the coils and fuel pump.

I have disconnected the blue/purple wire from relay and put my own earth in to a earth on the dash, it then in turn stops the relay from clicking but the rev counter and lights on the ecu still do the same(it doesn't cut out but u do hear a change in engine tone). I thought it could be a dodgy vr sensor loosing signal or something but it's still the same after changing it.
All wiring to plugs and joins are solder so I doubt it's a dodgy crimp terminal somewhere.

Here is a list of bits I have changed;
Vr sensor
Edis8 module
ECU plug with the wires prewired in the plug
Ht leads
Spark plugs

My ecu was built by nige at megasquirt v8
I have also tried someone else's ecu with my map loaded on to it and still the same. Any help will be listened to.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: ms1 on a rover v8. fault finding

Post by Matt Cramer »

:msq:
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

If you loose the tach signal (engine RPM) to MS, the fuel pump relay will switch off as MS thinks the engine has stopped. But MS will also stop injecting petrol if this tach signal fails.

EDIS is self contained and will spark without MS. Since your dash revcounter seems to be showing the fault too, how is it driven? If from EDIS, it would suggest the fault lies there. So I'd first check the 12v feed to the EDIS module and the ground, and the VR sensor wiring. If EDIS stops working, MS will think the engine has stopped and switch off the fuel pump.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
theviper1987
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by theviper1987 »

All fixed thanks to ms2tuning. I some how had got bp6es's fitted instead of bpr6es. Swapped them out and it's fixed! Thanks