Possible to use IRLZ44N for fan control?

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

kim_gulle
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Possible to use IRLZ44N for fan control?

Post by kim_gulle »

Hello!

I was just wondering if i could use the IRLZ44N mosfet for use with fan control on JS0?

JS0 gives out a 5 volt signal when fan control is activated. How do i need wire this up for the IRLZ44N Mosfet to control the fan relay?

Kim
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Possible to use IRLZ44N for fan control?

Post by Matt Cramer »

Yes - although I would run a relay with it instead of trying to run the fan directly! (The IRLZ44N theoretically has enough current capacity to direct drive a fan, but I'd be worried about the rest of the board.) Build it like the boost control circuit.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
kim_gulle
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by kim_gulle »

Matt Cramer wrote:Yes - although I would run a relay with it instead of trying to run the fan directly! (The IRLZ44N theoretically has enough current capacity to direct drive a fan, but I'd be worried about the rest of the board.) Build it like the boost control circuit.
Yes i am controlling a relay with it of course, i just happened to have an extra IRLZ44N so might as well use it.

But if i build it like the boost control circuit, i would not be able to control the relay on the negative side right? In the boost control circuit, the cpu pulls down the mosfet if im not mistaken. But the JS0 output provides a 5 volt signal when on. That does not sound like it would work the same way.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

It's a low side driver just like the standard relay output.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Mosfets want to be driven by a complimentary pair or a specific fet driver. Better of just using TIP 122 or other decent npn darlington transistor. Most of the time for just a relay I use a 2n2222a or BC337.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
kim_gulle
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by kim_gulle »

slow_hemi6 wrote:Mosfets want to be driven by a complimentary pair or a specific fet driver. Better of just using TIP 122 or other decent npn darlington transistor. Most of the time for just a relay I use a 2n2222a or BC337.
Yeah i know. But i just happened to have an IRLZ44N lying around. Otherwise i'd use the 2n2222a.