IAT reading really high

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

IainB1986
MS/Extra Newbie

IAT reading really high

Post by IainB1986 »

Howdy all, first time here so be nice :-)

I've searched the forums and tried everything I can think of so before I pull the board out and look for bust components please tell me if I'm missing something obvious?

Mazda MX5/Miata 1.6 Turbo
AFM delete, new GM IAT in cold end of IC
New install in this car but with used MSPnP box, starts and drives (with issues)
MSPnP V1 (MS1)
HR_10 Firmware
Modified base map from here - http://www.megasquirtpnp.com/gen1/mspnp_downloads.htm Modified for 420cc injectors and VTPS
MSQ attached

The issue is I'm getting very high IAT readings in Tuner Studio even with the engine off and cold (IAT reading 45degC/110degF when it's barely 9degC/48degF outside). Coolant temp in TS seems about right.

The checked/carried out the following:

1. Started new project with new temperature properties (Celsius to Fahrenheit) - No change, just reads high in different unit (45degC to 110degF)
2. Removed sensor, measured resistance at 3 different temps and uploaded new config with Easy Therm - No change
3. Earthed sensor earth direct to ECU through ground terminal on diagnostic port - No change (I was advised to earth all sensors to sensor ground but I cant see this on the MSPnP pin out diagram I have so the diagnostic port was the closest I could get - See ECU pinout attached)
4. All sensors, gauges, wideband, ECU, etc are earthed onto the back of the cylinder head
5. Connected IAT signal wire to ground - TS gauge shoots up to 77degC/170degF
6. Unplugged IAT sensor (open circuit on both earth and signal) - TS gauge drops to -40degC/-40degF

The next stage is pulling the ECU out and doing some fault finding changing IAT/Clt sensor inputs, measuring voltages, checking for bust components, etc. Before I do that I would appreciate any other suggestions???

Thanks,
Iain
RuneDK
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: IAT reading really high

Post by RuneDK »

By my memory, i'd think it would go way higher than 77*c directly earthed.
Check your bias resistor for the iat circuit. Cant remember if its r4 or r7 - and i dont know about pnp boxes :)

You could also try shorting the iat and clt by using a 1k resistor. Think this should give about 40*c on the standard bias resistors.