No pulse signal to Injector

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

LR Max
MS/Extra Newbie

No pulse signal to Injector

Post by LR Max »

Hi all,

New MS1/Extra install here. Running 1 injector TBI through a relay board. Retaining the stock ignition, and pulling a tach signal off the negative of the coil. In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, how hard can it be!!??

Apparently...very...

Vehicle is a 1973 Land Rover. Originally a carb truck, but I figure a TBI would be nice and easy. The engine is a low revving 4 cylinder.

Setup: MS1/extra V2.2 with flyback board installed. Running most recent Extra firmware. Running 1 injector through a relay board (bought the relay board assembled). Relay cable cable was also store bought.

I've got no pulse signal. I do have 12v positive to the injector. I checked continuity from the ECU plug to the injector, and I've got continuity. I swapped the wires on the relay board, no change. Checked grounds and other wires, good to go.

When I turn on the key, I do not get a priming pulse (no fuel in the throttle body). I put a test light across the injector plug. Got nothing during cranking. Also I have I have an "INJ" light on the MS1. Said light does not illuminate.

I checked and I am getting fuel to the TBI. I pulled the fuel line and fuel did come out. Also I pulled the injector and there was fuel in there.

I did dump a little bit of fuel down the intake. The engine did come to life and run for a brief moment before it died. During cranking, I've got power and I am reading signals from MAF, CLT, and IAT.

So yeah, that is where we are at. Anyone got any idea what I'm doing wrong? Something overlooked? Its like the ECU isn't sending a signal to the injector. Everything downstream of the ECU seems good. Can anyone give me any ideas as to what to check? Also to assist, are my tune and a data log of my attempted start up.

Thanks to anyone that can help!!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: No pulse signal to Injector

Post by Matt Cramer »

It's not getting a good RPM signal - you will need to fix that first.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
LR Max
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by LR Max »

Interesting. I've got the tach signal hooked up directly to the negative of the coil and I'm running fuel only.

My distributor is a Lucas 45D4, with a Petronix ignition in it and I'm using the flamethrower coil. I suspect something funky is going on there with that. Any suggestions on settings, etc to make it play nice? I'll probably go with coil packs down the road, but right now I want to get fuel done before I start adding complexity.

Edit: I found your write up. I'm looking at it now and taking note. Also I think I've got a Ignitor II, so that helps with the information. I think I can just change the settings in Tuner Studio, and we are good to go!
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

LR Max wrote:Interesting. I've got the tach signal hooked up directly to the negative of the coil and I'm running fuel only.

My distributor is a Lucas 45D4, with a Petronix ignition in it and I'm using the flamethrower coil. I suspect something funky is going on there with that. Any suggestions on settings, etc to make it play nice? I'll probably go with coil packs down the road, but right now I want to get fuel done before I start adding complexity.

Edit: I found your write up. I'm looking at it now and taking note. Also I think I've got a Ignitor II, so that helps with the information. I think I can just change the settings in Tuner Studio, and we are good to go!
Have you got the type of ignition trigger you're using selected in TS? A quick glance seemed to show everything 'off'.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
LR Max
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by LR Max »

It is all set to "off". I just looked on my tune and I didn't see anywhere on there that I select TS. Can you be a bit more specific?

After reading the write up on the Petronix, it seems like its going to be easier for me to convert to points rather than try messing with the Petronix to make it work. What is everyones thoughts on that?