Getting Bluetooth working on MS1

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

radiogareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Getting Bluetooth working on MS1

Post by radiogareth »

I have some nice little BT modules that I got pointed too http://www.braesidewebdesign.com/electroblog/XM-15B which I set up and named as per this article. My phone and tablet find the named devices no problem and connect quickly and reliably. I have hooked it up to my MS1_Extra PCB 3.0 but I'm getting nothing in either Shadow Dash or MSDroid.

The original listing is here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221675955202? ... EBIDX%3AIT which says that its already configured to 9600 baud. Certainly the Arduino I have talked to it fine as I was able to rename it no problem.

Pin 1 - VCC (5 volts) Not used
Pin 2 - Tx (OUT) Connected to RXD on BT module
Pin 3 - Rx (IN) Connected to TXD on BT module
Pin 5 – ground Connected to GND on BT module
Pin 9 - 5 Volts (bluetooth device power supply) Connected to VCC on BT Module

So unless I have my serial protocols addled (need to go and read what the MS1 ones are now in case that's the problem!!) I'm puzzled why its not talking. I have a scope and have observed healthy serial signals into my USB converter cable for the laptop. No such activity on the BT module.
Any suggestions????
Thanks
Gareth
RuneDK
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Getting Bluetooth working on MS1

Post by RuneDK »

At logic level (3.3-5v), you need to be on the other side of the max232 chip on the motherboard. Most pc db9's use 12v +/- 1v on the rx/tx lines, which it probably can't handle.

And installed like that, you can put it inside the ms box as well :)
radiogareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by radiogareth »

Cracked it :-) Browsing other forums one poster said he had similar problems until he used direct connections to the inputs of the RS232 chip. Instant connection to MSDroid and Shadowdash - not at the same time.....
radiogareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by radiogareth »

Thanks RuneDK. The simplest solutions are sometimes the best. My MS is in a metal box with metal end plates, so I have mounted it on a short pigtail and sent it out through an unused LED hole. So nice to have it working :-)