Big change between warm-up and main map?

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

radiogareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Big change between warm-up and main map?

Post by radiogareth »

I've got my 2.0 Zetec on ITBs cold starting fine and warming up. Having tweaked the warm-up curve a bit its quite happy. But it (the warm-up curve) seems to stop too early (70 degrees), leaving the engine in a 'weak' zone until it gets up to normal operating temp (90 degrees). There's no point changing the VE1 map only to change it back again. Am I missing something blinding here?
Tune attached....
2016-04-21_20.46.04.msq
Another question, as I adjust the VE map, does it implement the changes 'live' as I change a bin or do I have to click 'burn'? From the engines behaviour I'm guessing 'yes' I have to burn it to see the effect......

Thanks
Gareth
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Big change between warm-up and main map?

Post by slow_hemi6 »

VE changes should occur in ram as you make them, but will not become permanent till you burn.
Quite complicated to change the end point of warm up on MS1. http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 94#p196194
On MS2 it's just a drag with the mouse or change in the table.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 2swe »

maybe you could alter the CLT calibration to make WUE work longer...
1978 vw golf gti 16v itb cop full sequential MS2
1992 vw corrado 16v moonlight blue MS2
gtmdriver
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gtmdriver »

If you go into startup/idle and select warm up enrichment you can increase or decrease the amount of enrichment at any point and also adjust the temperature at which it finally drops down to 100% (no enrichment).
radiogareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by radiogareth »

OK, thanks, got that, so what's the point of the warm-up wizard which stops at 70 and can only move up or down?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

He probably didn't see your on MS1. As I said earlier it is fully TS adjustable in MS2 or 3.
Maybe you could fudge it a bit with some coolant corrected air density between 70 and 90 degrees. That could slew your AFR a bit where you need it.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
radiogareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by radiogareth »

Aahh, OK, I did wonder. Maybe its just time to upgrade to a MS2 daughter board. I just need to read about what I need to change on my MS1 version 3 board, and change the bluetooth baud rate (having just got one working on MS1!)

I might have a look at that 'tweak' first as the rest of it is fit for purpose. Just seems a bit strange that MS1 stopped enrichment at 70, even after all these years. It was never an issue on the first engine I put MS on, a air-cooled 90 cc Honda single cylinder in about 2007/8. For that I fitted a water sensor between the cooling fins. Maybe it just warmed up quicker, too long ago to remember TBH.

Thanks
radiogareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by radiogareth »

For the benefit of any thread readers I solved it by upgrading to MS2E as I had the board available. Now set up and running the ITB option. Huge improvement in tweakability. How much has changed since 2007/8 :-)