Cleaning up a tach signal

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

LR Max
MS/Extra Newbie

Cleaning up a tach signal

Post by LR Max »

Good morning Everyone,

I'm looking for guidance on cleaning up my tach signal. Backstory: MS1 V2.2 (originally fried it b/c I'm running low impedence injectors, but installed a DIY flyback board kit). Extra code. Currently running fuel only. Vehicle ran fine before I started my EFI swap. Running a 1 injector TBI setup. Getting my tach signal off the coil negative.

Attached is my cranking data log. As you can see, the tach signal *sometimes* looks good, but then goes into a square signal. I checked and my D5 and D8 are installed on my board (not jumpered).

Any other suggestions on cleaning up my tach signal? I think this is what is causing my no-start issue.

Also I did put the MS1 on a STIM last weekend and everything looked good.

Also possibly linked, every once in a while I get a setting configuration error (fuel pump then cycles). Wondering if I've been messing around inside the controller so long that I've corrupted something? Wondering if I should reload my firmware.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
LR Max
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Cleaning up a tach signal

Post by LR Max »

Also wanted to add, I did put the timing light on the distributor. When cranking, I do get power to my spark plugs.

Also on my V2.2 board, I have a diode installed in D8, but it is NOT jumpered. Should I jump D8?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Being a TBI you should be able to see if it is injecting fuel when cranking. The log shows it is getting a cranking rpm and is commanding a pulsewidth. It should at least be trying to start if it is getting enough fuel.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Looking at your log, your cranking RPM - judging by the battery volts - seems to be jumping all over the place. From about 30 rpm - which I'd guess is not correct - to about 270 rpm.

I'm wondering if your flyback board is wired in such a way as to interfere with things. Try unplugging all the injectors and do another cranking log, and see if you get a stable tach signal. Even with a V3 board, you sometimes need to modify the flyback circuit if you get interference to the tach signal from it.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
LR Max
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by LR Max »

So, plot thickens.

On a whim, I replaced my coil. Boom. Clean tach signal. Engine Lit right up :yeah!:

However...of course, it can't be all unicorns and rainbows.

My original coil had a resistance of 3.0 ohms. Since its a 4 cyl, this is the correct coil resistance. My "replacement" coil has a resistance of 0.6 ohms (its off a V8). So while the lower resistance coil provides a cleaner tach signal, I run the risk of burning up my ignition components. So either I can have a usable tach signal...or use the correct coil for my 4 cyl.

With this information, what does everyone think? BTW. Thanks for all of the help so far!