Ignition Output on at Shutdown

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jammy86
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Ignition Output on at Shutdown

Post by jammy86 »

Hello,

I've just been getting my MS1 up and running today on the car. It seems that the ignition coil fuse keeps blowing when the car stumbles to a stop. I can see with the Jstim that the ignition outputs stay alive for a second when the RPM is dropped to zero but the ECU still powered, as does the fuel pump. Is there any way to inhibit this?

This will be a problem if I stall the vehicle when driving... For it running in the garage I can install a circuit breaker and just keep resetting it, although I'm not sure it'll be doing the ignition drivers any good...

Any help appreciated. TIA

Edit: I guess I should add that this is direct coil drive using a wasted spark coil.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Ignition Output on at Shutdown

Post by Matt Cramer »

:msq:
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jammy86
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jammy86 »

Fair enough :) I'll try replicate it on the car tonight. Does it nearly every time on the stim though.
jammy86
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jammy86 »

Looking in to this a bit more it might be much less of an issue than I first thought. I've attached a log from using the stimulator to reproduce the fault, it happens on the last stop and once before. Is the spark output duration logged? I don't know the parameter. Anyway, it seems like this only happens when the engine stops very slowly, which at first attempts to fire up was regular but I've got it running and idling well now so I don't think it will be such a big issue when driving as a stall should be fairly abrupt. Still it would be interesting to know if it can be prevented or if it's not normal.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'm not seeing it log dwell, but I have seen the MS1 overdwell the coils if the RPM slowed down very gradually. Unfortunately, when that happens, I'm not sure if there is a fix other than an MS2 upgrade.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jammy86
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jammy86 »

Should it log dwell? Thanks for the info. I think it's fairly low risk now I've got it idling well, I was just worried at first as it happen 3 times in a row. I'll make sure I carry some spare fuses :) I'll also consider an upgrade to MS2 once I've got the thing going properly, I just want to make sure the currently configured options don't cause a problem. Thanks again.