madisonMK3
MS/Extra Newbie

over boost protection 100kpa default ? did I just screw up

Post by madisonMK3 »

am I really this dumb, is the default setting :

overboost protection : on
100KPA default limit :msq:

as it really appears to be ?

Did I just spend hours trying to tune / figure out my on boost issues because of it ? I am running fuel only, was running VR input off a toyota tach signal. converted to coil negative thinking my motor was breaking up under load due to bad tach (sync) signal

long story short...car runs just great off stock toyota ECU (removed injectors from megasquirt and went back to stock ecu to verify car actually runs fine under boost), trying to now add my megasquirt to control injectors. ran MS in parallel (controlling nothing) just to data log and it seemed to work great. swapped my injectors over to the megasquirt 1 (v3 mainboard) and get it running good off boost, using tuner studio's autotune. Start messing around in lower boost and car runs terrible....surging/breaking up. kept thinking it was my tach signal due to data log RPM line looking not smooth. so i switch over to coil negative pickup, same exact issues. maybe its not the tach signal at all and just a dumb user error...like going into boost with this set at 100KPA !!! Ugh is this really possible....did I just fight with fuel cut by adding a ton of fuel since it was cutting 3 of 5 injector pulses ? logs attached from megasquirt controlling injectors.

why can't i see "resets" or "overboost" protection "ON" in my logs in megatune ? i keep seeing people post them and they are not available in my logs.

starting to get the feeling "why is it (megasquirt) this hard".... any help would be greatly appreciated !!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: over boost protection 100kpa default ? did I just screw

Post by jsmcortina »

Even though you added the "attach an MSQ" icon, you didn't actually attach one?!?

When you enabled overboost protection, what did you set the limit to?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
madisonMK3
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by madisonMK3 »

Thanks for the reply, let me try attaching the tune and log again

it appears to me, a total NOOBS MS user....that boost protection was enabled, and set to 100KPA.

i this was the case, where am i missing that in the log file ? other post they can see boost protection and ecu resets in log files, i can't see any of that available in my megalog viewer software.

supra_surface.msq
2016-07-10_14.56.24.msl
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Little things like that can trip you up in TS. I haven't looked at your tune but did you expand your VE table out to 250kpa?

Being a Newbie myself I'm finally getting a grasp on all those little 'features' within MSPNP. I've programmed power stations but some of the logic within TS is confusing until you get the hang of it (ie nominating file name on log before starting, knock tuning with pots).

jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
madisonMK3
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by madisonMK3 »

Fuel VE table runs up to 190 KPA. boost typically cycles from 135-170. max i hit is 180 on my datalogs.

Here is a screen shot comparing the megasquirt VS 7mge ecu. literally 3 wires moved from stock ecu to MS1 since i ran MS1 in parallel as a datalogger at first. I spent some time last summer tuning the stock 7mge ecu to work with the 440 injectors, car actually runs better on toyota ecu at the moment which is a real bummer :/

the frustration has actually led to me redoing my MS install wiring 100%. making some improvements:
-multiple ground wires (5x 22ga fine strand wire vs one 12 guage "thick" and firm wire)
-ground to block now (old ground was battery negative cable, which was new but everyone says engine ground so i moved it)
-moved grounding from middle connector pins to the RH side pins (different pinouts on internets, RH seems to be what MFG wants)
-using screened/shielded cable for IAT and CLT (gm) sensors
-moving IAT/CLT sensor grounds from block to MS ground pin (these were originally grounded to block)
-rerouting coil - signal wire and circuit ground out of the megasquirt DB connector onto a separate connector (was already using screened wire and different ground path...but now getting outside of all other wires in that main connector)
-getting wires away from coil wire / distributor ( 2 sensors currently run 6" proximity to these, w/o shielded wire at the moment = dumb ...)

Hope all this helps out!!! give me a few more days and i hope to be posting in the success story area :)

madisonMK3
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by madisonMK3 »

7mge Na-t megasquirt install
finally the battle is over...megasquirt you are one tricky little black box and our month long love hate relationship is finally over. very happy to report the squirt is working well, and the battle was worth it.

What is so hard about installing a megasquirt ? nothing really, in hindsight lol....just a whole lot of little things you have to do right, and any one little thing can make you chase your tail. why? because the symptom is often not directly traceable to the root cause (like many things in life...)

my hurdles in this install were:

RF noise - not only tach input, but also sensors and injector flyback noise. made wiring changes on MS board, changed out wiring types (moved to shielded wire) and was able to lick this.

poor quality wiring - pay close attention to the ground wires, you want high strand count wire---many thin wires is way better than a few thick wires...aka don't follow my lead and grab some crap you have laying around for the ground wire!

grounds- don't fall victim to the "i wired that up 4 years ago its fine" sickness. I pulled my wideband ground during the rewire and was shocked that i didn't solder the wires into the ring, and that they were corroded as hell. had to re-calibrate the 02 after that change! I am sure it was bleeding noise into everything

my install went like this:
1. install it in parallel w stock fuel system and datalog/get comfortable with software/settings etc. at this point MS is controlling nothing and just has sensor hooked up (but not injectors yet)
2. move your injectors over to MS control and wonder why it acts so erratic since it did such a great job in role #1 above
3. get frustrated and try a few quick fixes, read about other peoples problems for hours on end. at this point you start to think a) do only 50% of people make MS work and b) why didn't i just get a safc
4. before you rip the MS out for a safc you re-install it with all the knowledge you learned in step 3, and hot dam it starts working. side note, you know you are frustrated when you even consider a SAFC as a replacement for the megasquirt.
5. post it up to save others steps 1-3

minimal tuning done at this point, enough for a 2nd gear pull though

benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Excellent write-up and commentary on the problems encountered. :yeah!:

I found similiar issues with my own set-up although not as severe. A common denominator from much of my research (step 3) and your thread is TOYOTA ignitions! They seem to be very noisy and plenty of RF floating around engine & cock-pit areas to cause a nuisance. I held off even buying a MS for several years due to the problems encountered with other Toyota users. MS seems to be better controlled but not totally fool proof as yet. Hope others learn from your experience.

jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water