MS newbie Rover 3.5V8

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

LandroverV8
MS/Extra Newbie

MS newbie Rover 3.5V8

Post by LandroverV8 »

greetings to all the Megasquirtees..... :D

I have just recently installed a MS1 into my '83 Land Rover defender and busy learning how to tune it, I struggled the first few days to get my head around the whole concept but I am slowly starting to see some light.

I do however have some questions and maybe some pros can help me find the solutions faster than me bungling around....

this is what I have:
MS1 from DIY autotune, pre assembled, bought as a kit from Nigel in the UK who seems to be the go-to man for land rover MS conversions.
EDIS 8 driving 2 (i think 1st generation coil packs)
an Extra Air Valve (bosch) being driven by PWM for my idle
all of that is on a 9.35 comp 3.5V8
was on LUCAS flapper before and the difference is already amazing even though I don't have my tuning anywhere near perfect yet.

I am getting there with my EFI analytics tuner studio, have the registered version and been tuning my fuel chart and this is making a big difference.
tuned my startup today so will see how that works when i startup tomorrow again..

here are my current problems and questions.

1. when I start she starts fine, runs for about 2 seconds then I can hear how the EAV closes up and "chokes" and she dies, what must I change to stop this.
it is only on the very first turn of the key, once she has died once the next time she starts and whilst i can hear the EAV "chocking her she doesn't quite die and then the EAV settles and she idles at the correct warmup idle (1000rpm)
*edit-----i think I might have just figured this out in the "idle control continued", startup delay, my value was at 100, have reset to 200 and lets see if this works....

2. when I depress the accelerator sharply (after she is warm of course) she first makes a sound like a sharp intake of breath before responding. i think I need to change my Accel deccel but I don't know where to start, have fiddled with a few things but haven't seen a change.
here is my access deccel setup:
Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 17.02.04 PM.png
here is my current MSQ:
Heiko V8.msq
here the last datalog smaller than 1MB ;-)
2016-07-13_11.10.39.msl
then I have another tuning question :
I have seen in Megalog viewer that I can analyse a log and then get a tuned fuel chart from that...... so I had a look at a DataLOG and saw that it is just a text file, so I am thinking.... if I "stitch" a series of datalogs together, each with a distinctly different phase of my typical driving then I could get a much more effective tune? am I right about this or have I missed something?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS newbie Rover 3.5V8

Post by Matt Cramer »

What sort of O2 sensor are you running?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
LandroverV8
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by LandroverV8 »

hey Matt, thanks for the answer, I am running a narrow band blue box lambda that Nigel sent me, which brand? no idea.

while I have you, I need to figure out which pin I can use for my tacho output, I have a VDO tacho and a "tachfix" from MS2 in the UK, but not sure which pin to take a signal off?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

You'll want to get a wideband on there so you can get real air/fuel ratio data. The log was showing it richer than 10:1, but that's out of the range a narrow band. You'll need more accurate data to get this dialed in.
LandroverV8
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by LandroverV8 »

can you recommend me something?
will it wire up to the same 3 wires to the ECU (power, signal, ecu earth)? or do i need extra wiring?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'd recommend an LC-2. The wiring is a bit different as the ground doesn't go to the ECU, but you only need to connect three wires unless you're running a gauge.