Another comm issue...but a different one

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Big Thurs
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Another comm issue...but a different one

Post by Big Thurs »

So I don't get to drive my ms1 mr2 much. Its been a year or so since I last had the computer connected to it for tuning. When I tried to connect the other week, there was no communication. Since then, I have poked and prodded around the board (V3) and even replaced the max 232 chip. With the processor installed I get an echo back in the mini terminal, no echo without the chip. I get echo back when the processor is removed and the comm pins on the socket are jumped. I cannot program the processor with or without the boot jumper, it only returns the initial character; "" or "!!". It seems the processor has failed, but the car still runs fine, only serial communication has failed. Any thoughts?
91 MR2 Turbo on V3 MSNE-e HR11d
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Another comm issue...but a different one

Post by Matt Cramer »

What happens if you run the Port Check program?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Big Thurs
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Big Thurs »

Port check finds nothing but an open port. Loopback test of usb-serial converter and rs232 side of max232 passes. I get echos when ms is unplugged, but no echo when ms is hooked up to the car with ignition on, with or without cpu pins 12-13 shorted. max232 pin 12 and cpu pin 13 are +5v with ig-on. No continuity between cpu pin 20 (vcc) and 13.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Big Thurs wrote:... but no echo when ms is hooked up to the car with ignition on, with or without cpu pins 12-13 shorted.
Sounds like a problem with the MAX232.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Big Thurs
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Big Thurs »

That was my initial diagnosis, but replacing the max did not fix the problem. If I fiddle with the 12-13 jumper, I get serial jibberish returning in the terminal, so something is being read and converted to rs232 by the max232, right?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

You can remove the ms1 processor and do a loop back at the main socket. http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Meg ... .4-95.html
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Big Thurs
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Big Thurs »

I finally figured it out! It was a windows 10 issue, not a MS hardware issue. Basically I changed the latency timer in the usb-serial adapter advanced settings to 1msec from the default. I think it was like 15 0r 20msec.
ftdi settings.png
Big Thurs
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Big Thurs »

So I tried it again, but no communication in TS3. I tried my old laptop on xp and it works just fine. Tried many different combinations of settings for the FTDI driver. I Installed megatune and it runs and communicates just fine. So the summary for future reference with a similar issue is that Tuner Studio 3 and Tuner Studio 2.9 will not communicate (including the terminal) and Megatune installs and runs fine and communicates normally for me in Windows 10. Back to tuning!