Help with initial settings for 3 cyl 800cc Huihai

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

grayfoxx
MS/Extra Newbie

Help with initial settings for 3 cyl 800cc Huihai

Post by grayfoxx »

Hey guys,

I'm hoping I can get some help with a good starting point to get my Go Kart running. I've been all through this thing and now just need it to fire up and go on it's own. I have a 800cc 3cyl Huihai with single coil ignition. I've built an MS1 v2.2 with the distributor FET installed and functioning. We timed the engine after replacing the distributor integrated hall sensor to get RPM readings. Spark is good on all cylinders, I pulled the fuel rail and determined that all injectors are squirting after a good cleanup. I have good readings from air and coolant temp, MAP, Hall, etc. We were cranking and cranking yesterday and couldn't even get a cough unless we syringed some fuel directly into the intake. Once we did that we were able to get her going and idling nice and smooth as long as we let it nurse itself off the syringe. At one point after we pulled the syringe it ran for a good 20 - 30 seconds and even let us rev up a few times before sputtering to a stop. I suspected that the fuel return line was causing some issue being that it runs right back into the same T used for fuel supply that also gravity feeds from the tank. I could see a lot of air in the fuel filter. I ran the return straight through the top of the tank and it eliminated a lot of air bubbles and turbulence I could see in the filter. Still no dice. I suspect I must have some fuel settings way off. I created a data log of a few seconds of cranking in case that helps. Hoping someone has a simple solution I'm missing.

ImageImageImageImagehttps://1drv.ms/u/s!AhGAu9C0B2KZg91h8S9ArvcMTNzU4A
Roketa GK-25A
800cc
3cyl
EFI
Single Coil Ignition/Distributor
Megasquirt 1 v2.2 - hi-res 11d FW
grayfoxx
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Help with initial settings for 3 cyl 800cc Huihai

Post by grayfoxx »

So this took a turn for the worse last night. We were tying up more loose ends and testing more settings in attempt to get this thing to start and idle. During cranking we were spritzing fuel in to the intake with a spray bottle and managed to get the motor to run for a good 10 seconds at which point we had a big backfire. When I looked over at Tuner Studio I had a "No Connection" screen rather that the usual offline if connection is lost. I tried to get connection back and apparently had lost all communication with the Squirt. We turned on the squirt and tested spark and also got no results. A backfire fried my ECU? I went over wiring and board connections multiple times and found zero problems. I opened her up and tested the power components as I did during assembly then the comms and both checked out well. I reinstalled the boot jumper and reflashed the firmware without issue. When I reinstalled the Squirt I still could not communicate via Tuner Studio. We tried cranking it over in case it was a PC issue and after cranking for a bit noticed fuel pouring out of the exhaust!!! We killed the power disconnected everything and had a closer look. Hydrolocked by fuel!! Did corrupted firmware open my injectors like flood gates and fill my cylinders? There really is no other explanation.

After losing all spirit, drinking like a fish and getting some sleep I woke up this morning ready to dig in again. I retested the power and comms components again with success. I decided to pull down a fresh firmware file in case my copy was compromised and actually grabbed the hi-res 11d and a new copy of the one I used before, 029y4a. I used Hyperterminal this time to flash so I could wipe any lingering bad code first. I flashed 11d successfully and I am now talking to the Squirt again. Once I get all the fuel out of the cylinders I will see if this thing can now run my kart.

I am also pulling the jumper between XG1 and XG2 and bridging XG1 over to X11 for a better ground on the coil negative lead. I read this could cause resets and I'm hoping maybe that is what caused firmware corruption and possibly the issue with not getting it to run on injectors. I have a direct coil lead out of the case to the coil negative from a BIP373 grounded externally and soldered also to R25 for single coil ignition. I'm also hoping the hi-res fw will allow me better control of pulse width which I feel was the issue before.

Does it sound like I'm on a good path here or are there other components I need to be looking out for?
Roketa GK-25A
800cc
3cyl
EFI
Single Coil Ignition/Distributor
Megasquirt 1 v2.2 - hi-res 11d FW
turbothis
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Help with initial settings for 3 cyl 800cc Huihai

Post by turbothis »

sounds great!
2002 montero dakar rig