Overrun Settings Issue

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

roflcopter
MS/Extra Newbie

Overrun Settings Issue

Post by roflcopter »

Hey everyone,

I hate to make my first post be a cry for help but I've been scouring the internet trying to come up with an answer to this issue and can't find the right combination of words to have anything worthwhile come up.

First things first:
TunerStudio V3.0.10
MS1v3
029y4a code
Launch control
Boost control
PWM Idle
Fan relay control
EasyTherm'd for Bosch sensors

The issue:
When I first installed everything in the car it all worked correctly(except for the bank 1 fuel injector transistor being installed improperly and not working) and things worked as expected. I went out tuning and started playing with the overrun settings to get things close and it worked fine for about an hour, then I started noticing that changing the settings in TunerStudio no longer changed them on the ECU. It's been that way ever since. It is stuck at 1000rpm and whatever MAP setting I had it at along with TPS and others. I can turn it off and it stays on, I can change the settings and it doesn't do anything. I always do a power cycle and all and none of the changes stick. The weird thing is that when I plug my laptop into the car whatever settings I have left in TunerStudio will still be there in the overrun dialog, so they must be being saved somewhere.

I'm honestly at a loss for what could be the cause besides corrupted ROM or something on the board itself. I have a decent bit of technical expertise so I'm willing to try whatever troubleshooting ideas you guys have. An MSQ is attached if that helps, let me know what relevant information I can provide to aid in suggestions.

Thanks in advanced everyone!
B230F+T_wastegate.msq
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Overrun Settings Issue

Post by Matt Cramer »

Try reloading the firmware and loading a tune from before the problem surfaced. Does that fix anything?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Six_Shooter »

Are you clicking on "Burn" before you power cycle?
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while
roflcopter
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by roflcopter »

Matt Cramer wrote:Try reloading the firmware and loading a tune from before the problem surfaced. Does that fix anything?
I don't have any tunes from before the issue started, it was a while back and I'm just now getting fed up with it enough to try and fix it. I will give it a go though with reloaded firmware and see if that helps.
roflcopter
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by roflcopter »

Six_Shooter wrote:Are you clicking on "Burn" before you power cycle?
Yes, flow goes as this:

Change setting
Click burn
Power cycle ECU

I've also tried changing the settings offline and if they differ from what was previously burned(what has been burned but not what the ECU is actually doing) it will ask if I want to send the current TunerStudio settings and all and even doing it that way it will think it has burned them, but no actual change in ECU behavior.
roflcopter
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by roflcopter »

I reflashed the firmware with a freshly downloaded copy of 029y4a and did not do the EasyTherm correction or anything else to it to see if it would work in completely stock form. No success. Still has what seems to be the OLD overrun settings. When I first burned my tune back to it I had everything turned off for overrun and it is still on and set at 1000rpm. Even though the greyed out choice is at 2000rpm from when I was trying to get it to change before reflashing firmwares.

My question is now this... is it possible that piece of ROM is essentially stuck? Are there any other settings that are stored in close proximity to that in memory that I could also try and change to prove that hypothesis? I was under the impression that everything was stored/read from RAM while the ECU was running and that was why the whole burn function existed, to store it into ROM so that it would be saved through reboots and reloaded into RAM.

Since the overrun setting are one of the ones that requires a power cycle, does that mean they are stored in ROM only and never actually end up in RAM? Is this why even changing settings within the dialog(other than on/off) don't take effect?
roflcopter
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by roflcopter »

I really haven't made anymore headway with this as I've been pretty stumped... would it be appropriate to post this in one of the assembly or board specific forums to further analysis? I am really quite sure it is a hardware issue at this point.
mazdaspeed
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mazdaspeed »

Try changing the settings while offline then when you connect select run tunerstudio settings. See if they change then?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
roflcopter
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by roflcopter »

I have tried that and it does not work either.

I might see if my friend will let me try his MS1 ECU and if it will work correctly with that chip on my board.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Upgrade to the very latest TunerStudio beta (or revert to 2.6.19) In other topics people have reported problems with MS1 not being sent the settings with some TS 3.x versions.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
roflcopter
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by roflcopter »

jsmcortina wrote:Upgrade to the very latest TunerStudio beta (or revert to 2.6.19) In other topics people have reported problems with MS1 not being sent the settings with some TS 3.x versions.

James
I will try that tomorrow and report back. I'm worried it isn't a TS issue though since the settings seem to 'save' on the controller and I can plug in and it will recognize that the settings I want are already on the controller.
roflcopter
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by roflcopter »

I tried using the newest beta of TS and no change...

It is my belief that TS is in fact writing the settings to the controller, and they ARE being saved into ROM. But I think those bits in RAM are stuck, which causes the MS to report that the settings are as I want them, even when the behavior does not match what it is saying the settings are.

I had an issue with the PWM flyback circuit for injector channel 1 back when I first put the board together and it fried two of the transistors(Q10 and Q13(?)) so I have been running the car just off of channel 2 with simultaneous injection. This shouldn't cause any issues I wouldn't think unless the original time that the circuit was malfunctioning and not damping the flyback it could have made its way back to the CPU pins. What are the chances this is the root of my issues?

My next troubleshooting step is going to be convincing my buddy to let me pull his MS1 chip and swap it with mine and see if the issue persists.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The flash memory being partially broken like that is extremely unlikely.

If you really think the settings aren't changing, try using TunerStudio version 2.6.19 from here: http://www.efianalytics.com/TunerStudio ... ldReleases

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
roflcopter
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by roflcopter »

I will try that version in the morning.

The one I used was v2.9.126. The only thing making me feel like the issue might be that is that the settings save to the controller, they show as being whatever I set them to even after reboots and even when I edit them in TS offline then plug back into the MS it sees the discrepancy and that would mean that the settings I save to the controller are being saved to ROM correct?
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Six_Shooter »

Does changing anything else take effect?
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while
roflcopter
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by roflcopter »

Six_Shooter wrote:Does changing anything else take effect?
Yes. I have yet to find another setting that has issues... just the Overrun.
roflcopter
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by roflcopter »

UPDATE:

I found another settings that is acting up as well. In the Acceleration Wizard menu the enrichment time was set to 3.5ms and when changed it will change and burn to ECU but after a power cycle it will go back to 3.5ms. Strange.

I also believe that the values in there that are labeled in ms are actually timed in full seconds, not that it relates to my issue but just another curiosity.