Problem after engine change.

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

chybber
MS/Extra Newbie

Problem after engine change.

Post by chybber »

Hi

I'm having a strange problem with the engine "not" wanting to rev at some points e.x 2400-2500.
It started after I've changed the engine from an N/A to Turbocharged, same motor family 230f to b230ft same type of trigger same trigger wheel same alignment same harmonic balancer(tdc mark) I've checked the timing with a strobe light at it checks out.
Now to the strange thing i had to change the Trigger angel to 30 from 70 to get the tdc mark right, the timing is spot on.
But it struggles to revs freely when using the spark map, if i lock the timing to say 20 it revs much easier.
The spark map is really conservative, so it's really strange.
And just ignore the ve table i have tried fatten it up and lean it out but it doesn't matter the only thing that helps is lock the timing to about 20
Hope some one have a suggestion.

Hope you understand me not my native language.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Problem after engine change.

Post by Matt Cramer »

OK, a trigger angle of 30 degrees won't allow you to get the full range of spark advance. You will need to adjust the distributor so you can get a trigger angle in the 0-15 degree range or 50+ degrees.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
chybber
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Problem after engine change.

Post by chybber »

Matt Cramer wrote:OK, a trigger angle of 30 degrees won't allow you to get the full range of spark advance. You will need to adjust the distributor so you can get a trigger angle in the 0-15 degree range or 50+ degrees.
Ok didn't know that.
But anyway i found the problem the flywheel(trigger wheel) was off.
When i took the flywheel from the old engine, i set it up the same but the harmonic balancer that were on it when I've installed it were broken the rubber had separated so the tdc mark were off.
I changed the harmonic balancer anyway because it were chipped.