Help on a Type 2 Beetle engine

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Behold81
MS/Extra Newbie

Help on a Type 2 Beetle engine

Post by Behold81 »

Hi

I am new to Megasquirt but not ECU Tuning and have been asked to help my Brother go from carb to EFI. I have convinced him to also remove his Dizzy as part of this process and go coil pack for greater control.

The kit he picked up was for a Type 2 and prewired MS1 v3 with relay board and set either for fuel only or just single coil drive (Need to confirm when we get in to he ECU tune) but believe it is fuel only.

reading up on the manual it looks like 2 options are available. wasted spark or sequential. I take it either can be done with a coil pack or COPS. I take it the main reason to go wasted spark is to keep spare pins for other features?

As to wiring am I right I wire for 2/4 coils? with COPS or Pack? There is only high voltage drive that would be shared over the COPS or single in to a pack? then wire Spark A/B to coil 1/3 and 2/4 respectively? and for COPS A-D respectively.

I'm fine with the Trigger wheel setup for this its really knowing what needs rewiring on the board. its not quite clear.

Thanks in advance and by all means ask any questions. I have pictures of the V3 board if needed.

Thanks

Antony
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Help on a Type 2 Beetle engine

Post by DaveEFI »

Wasted spark only need two coils (of the EDIS, etc type which fire two plugs from one coil) and therefore only two coil drivers. Four coils configured for wasted spark would either be active types with built in drivers or usually need four external drivers. It may be possible to drive two coils from one driver - I'm not sure. With sequential, you also need a cam position sensor.

The easiest way would be to go wasted spark using an EDIS coil unit, which are easy to find and very reliable. The V3 board has only one high current driver, so you'd need to add a second one. It is all covered in the manual.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

For waste spark, its also possible to use a dual coil logic-controlled (0-5v) setup from a ~2000 era VW.
This requires no additional drivers, just a couple ~1K resistors and using 2 LED driver for the task.

This also keeps the high powered ignition noise out of the ECU, which is a Very Good Thing.
The ignition drivers are built into the coil.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
Behold81
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Behold81 »

piledriver wrote:For waste spark, its also possible to use a dual coil logic-controlled (0-5v) setup from a ~2000 era VW.
This requires no additional drivers, just a couple ~1K resistors and using 2 LED driver for the task.

This also keeps the high powered ignition noise out of the ECU, which is a Very Good Thing.
The ignition drivers are built into the coil.

Something like this? https://goo.gl/images/Vs4otK

If not do you have a a link to what we need.
Behold81
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Behold81 »

DaveEFI wrote:Wasted spark only need two coils (of the EDIS, etc type which fire two plugs from one coil) and therefore only two coil drivers. Four coils configured for wasted spark would either be active types with built in drivers or usually need four external drivers. It may be possible to drive two coils from one driver - I'm not sure. With sequential, you also need a cam position sensor.

The easiest way would be to go wasted spark using an EDIS coil unit, which are easy to find and very reliable. The V3 board has only one high current driver, so you'd need to add a second one. It is all covered in the manual.
Yes but it's a little confusing!

The manual online covers a lot of options and is a little unclear. Hence asking. Looks like wasted spark is the route. Just need to find the right kit and right wiring for it.