No power to the main relay

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

toon1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

No power to the main relay

Post by toon1 »

Hi guy's, MS1 V3.0

I'm having an issue with what I thought was the relay board but now I don't think so. I turn the key on and there is no activation of the main power relay on the relay board.

I thought I had a bad trace on the relay board but after close inspection, it looks ok. I now think it's a problem with the MS board. IIRC, at power up, MS tells the power relay to engage and that powers up the board and the FP.

any help to start trouble shooting is greatly appreciated

Thanks
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: No power to the main relay

Post by kjones6039 »

toon1 wrote:IIRC, at power up, MS tells the power relay to engage and that powers up the board and the FP.
Not exactly, if I understand you question correctly.. The power relay is controlled by the ignition switch (or other switch for that purpose).
MS controls the fuel pump via the fp relay after the MS is powered up by the power relay.

Do you have a multi meter available to test voltage and resistance?

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
toon1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toon1 »

I do have a multi meter.

maybe it is the FP switch transistor. I have power to the relay but it's not activating the FP

I put MS on the stim board a while back and it looked like the FP relay was activating. The FP LED light was going on and then off after 3 seconds.

Thanks again
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

toon1 wrote:I do have a multi meter.

maybe it is the FP switch transistor. I have power to the relay but it's not activating the FP

I put MS on the stim board a while back and it looked like the FP relay was activating. The FP LED light was going on and then off after 3 seconds.

Thanks again
Nothing will work if the main relay isn't making. If it is, the pump relay is only made when MS sees a tach signal. Although it should make for a couple of seconds or so when you switch on.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Need to make sure the signal wire to the main relay is actually being triggered. If it's not, then just trace that wire/trace to find the break/problem.

At this point you know the voltage is getting to the relay, now you just need to figure out why it's not triggering.

I personally didn't use the relay board but I would imagine it's design is simple enough to troubleshoot.

Make sure you also don't have the boot jumper in there.
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

I think I would put the MS back on the Stim. That will help eliminate the relay board and may tend to shorten up the troubleshooting process.

As a side note....... I am very distrustful of the MS relay board! I used one on my very first MS project and found it to just create another, unneeded level of complexity. I eventually threw it in the spare parts bin and never looked back. If your MS checks out on the Stim you might even consider ditching it also.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

kjones6039 wrote:I think I would put the MS back on the Stim. That will help eliminate the relay board and may tend to shorten up the troubleshooting process.

As a side note....... I am very distrustful of the MS relay board! I used one on my very first MS project and found it to just create another, unneeded level of complexity. I eventually threw it in the spare parts bin and never looked back. If your MS checks out on the Stim you might even consider ditching it also.

Ken
If the entire harness is being rebuilt from scratch the relay board makes perfect sense. Or if the original harness is too destroyed to recover. If not I say use what came with the vehicle/project relay wise.

I just reimplemented what GM designed and added my own extras in the Camaro.

Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection
toon1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toon1 »

Thanks guy's.....I didnt want to add too much info.

The car had been running perfectly on MS for long time. One morning I went to fire it up and noticed the fuel pump didnt turn on. I looked at the relay board and noticed that there must have been something on it because there was a little melting on the top of the relay mount. so there was a short of some sort that happened.After doing some checks I thought I had a bad relay, swapped in a good one and no change.

All the fuses are good( first thing I checked)

Relays are good and swapped them around to verify

If I turn the key switch ON I get 12v through to the relay pole closest to the incoming relay board power. I also get 12v to the top pole of the relay socket that the 12V SW power goes to.

If I jumper from 12Vpower to FP, it runs.

I've put the MS board on the stim and the FP led light will light at power up and then turn off after 3 sec.

Hope this is info helps, I'm stumped
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

I've not used the relay board, but if there were signs of something melting, I'd remove it and check every single track for continuity. You'll find a schematic for it on the MSefi site.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

DaveEFI wrote:I've not used the relay board, but if there were signs of something melting, I'd remove it and check every single track for continuity. You'll find a schematic for it on the MSefi site.
I concur. If the relay shorted internally or melted via another influence, the 12v could have shorted the FP relay wiring/traces.

Time to trace.

toon1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toon1 »

WillExoIX wrote:
DaveEFI wrote:I've not used the relay board, but if there were signs of something melting, I'd remove it and check every single track for continuity. You'll find a schematic for it on the MSefi site.
I concur. If the relay shorted internally or melted via another influence, the 12v could have shorted the FP relay wiring/traces.

Time to trace.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk[/quot

Thanks guy's

A burnt trace is what I initially thought, and still may be the case. After looking at the traces on the RB I can't seem to find anything. There may be a burnt trace that is hidden.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

A continuity check with your DMM can show you broken traces you can't see.

toyotaspeed90
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toyotaspeed90 »

Late response, but....

It has been a long time since I wired a relay board - but you should note that MS doesn't supply power for a fuel pump and not even a voltage signal. It supplies a ground signal to activate a relay.

So, if you aren't getting 12v at the FP on the RB then the issue could be MS or it could be the relay board.... if you throw the MS on a stim board you can check the fuel pump signal and rule whether it's an MS or relay issue.

Once you know, then you can move forward. My guess is that it isn't MS....