v2.2 tuning modding loading firmware

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Dustinicus
MS/Extra Newbie

v2.2 tuning modding loading firmware

Post by Dustinicus »

I have as of now a fully assembled ms 2.2 board fuel only soldered as per the directions. I have had it for a couple years untested and unchecked. The other day i found it and decided to order a simulator to test it with. SO i ordered and soldered a stim together, i plugged it all into my laptop and im able to get the pot's to adjust the tunerstudio readings up and down except for the RPM pot. I havent modified it or loaded any code.

It's kinda lazy of me, but can some one help direct me towards the next step for running fuel and spark?
I know I need to load some code onto the chip, not sure how
I know there are different mods that need to be done so i can have spark control

SPARK CONTROL
I plan on putting this thing on a ford ranger 2.3l lima engine 4cyl TFI distributor, factory fuel injection
I have an HEI module (if it helps)

Can someone direct me to the correct information for making this unit run as a stand alone in my engine please?

Dustin
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: v2.2 tuning modding loading firmware

Post by DaveEFI »

If it is reacting to the pots on the Stim, it already has code loaded. Tuner Studio will identify what code is loaded.

A V2.2 board means an MS1. You'll find a link to the manual for that at the top of this page. That has all the information you'll need.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Dustinicus
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dustinicus »

I understand there is code already loaded. What im trying to do is load extra code and set this up for spark control as well. there are multiple mods to do to the board for different types of spark control, and for some of them there are two different sets of directions for the same board mod

thanks
Dustin
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

There is only one manual for the extra code. If there are 2 sets of instructions then 1 will be for the v2.2 and the other for the v3.0. If that is the case it is shown as v2.2 or v3.0.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Dustinicus wrote:I understand there is code already loaded. What im trying to do is load extra code and set this up for spark control as well. there are multiple mods to do to the board for different types of spark control, and for some of them there are two different sets of directions for the same board mod

thanks
Dustin
It sounds like you are looking at instructions from different sources. There may well be more than one way of skinning a cat. But if using extra code, stick to the MSI extra manual linked to from this page.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Dustinicus
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dustinicus »

The stimulator will not show any rpm in tuner studio, not sure how to get that to change
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Depends on how it is configured for tach in. Does it have xg1 jumpered to xg2? Is it the stim with both fine and coarse rpm pots (2)?
Cheers Luke
Dustinicus
MS/Extra Newbie

JS0 cant find pin out for this

Post by Dustinicus »

it is jumpered it was a setting in tuner studio that I didnt have correct.

next question

I have JS0 set to fan control, but im not sure where that control comes out at on the DB37 connector, or where I need to add a jumper or more parts to make it work tunerstudio shows the fan switching on and off (in the little boxes below) when i mess with the coolant pot, so there is some kind of connection there, just not sure how to get a signal out to my relay box for fan control.

I read through everything i could find but there wasnt anything i could find

the Unit is v2.2 board ms1

thanks
Dustin
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

The relay driver circuit that you need to add will be basically the same as the MS2 manuals Other Relay Outputs. Where it says "from MS2" will connect to JS10. The 12V connection can go to the banded end of D7 or D9 and the spr3 or spr4 connection can go to one of the x11 to x14 if they are free.
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS2 ... .4-42.html
Cheers Luke
Dustinicus
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dustinicus »

Sorry, but that didn't really help me much, or explain exactly what i am supposed to do. The directions you provided are for a different board than what i am using.

I am already using D9 for the ignition mod that I did for using a TFI module, and D7 looks like it gets it's power from the same place as D9, and I dont want to run too much through that circuit, unless that is ok.

Also cant find any markings on the board that say js(any number). NOW the tunerstudio output that is marked js0 has an X2 by it as well, is that an indication of where it needs to be wired up on the board?

I want to make sure i get this right, it might not seem like it to some, but i got a couple hundred into this project and cant really afford to mess anything up
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Yeah I did a typo before and wrote JS10 when it should be JS0.
JS0 = X2 on V2.2 board. Right next to R26.
Both the banded ends of D7 and D9 connect to the main 12v input to MS. DB37 pin 28. This circuit draws no power from it. All it does is allows tiny amount of flyback energy to be sent back to the power supply when the relay is switched off. The power supply has the components required to deal with this.
X11,12,13 are between R16 and R8, X14 is in between Q3 and Q5. Those traces are not real big but an auto relay coil draws around 0.2A.
http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_ ... tm##layout Scroll down to Layout of the Megaquirt PCBs.
http://jbperf.com/sequential/v2_2_inj_outputs_big.jpg is a good pic of the bare board.
Cheers Luke
Dustinicus
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dustinicus »

Thank you,that helps a lot. so it looks like im going to have to buy some part to my unit to make the fan work...
i got resistors, but i dont have any "2N5551" ill do some searching to find that do-hickey and button this thing up.

thank you for your help everyone

Dustin