coil pack settings

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

kadamsgt
MS/Extra Newbie

coil pack settings

Post by kadamsgt »

I have a 94 2.5l ford probe that i have recently added wasted spark setup. Using the bosch drivers from diyautotune. My question is where do I tell tunerstudio that is is wasted spark. I have enabled spark output b & C. I thought in megatune it asked how many coils the car had. I do not see any way to tell the ecu it is now wasted spark. The coil pack is from DIY autotune as well. ms1v3 029y4 msns.
2017-07-27_20.04.39.msq
thanks in advance.

Kyle A.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: coil pack settings

Post by Matt Cramer »

It looks like you're getting the MS1/Extra and MS2/Extra directions mixed up. In your case, you need to set the LED18 / D15 function to Spark Output C and the LED19 / D16 function to Spark Output B under Output Pin Options.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
kadamsgt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kadamsgt »

Thanks for the response Matt. I have set the outputs to Spark A B C and have the the spark set to inverted. The car runs but has a tremendous miss, which seams to be all cylinders as it is fouling plugs on all six. I set the timing fixed to 20 degrees and verified with timing light that it is correct. Has anyone else had similar problems.

Thanks

Kyle A.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

:msq:
kadamsgt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kadamsgt »

Sorry here is the msq and a datalog after startup. The miss was noticible iven at just off idle

Ple

Thanks

Kyle A.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

That fueling shouldn't foul the plugs unless the wideband reading is way off, but the VE table is oddly high - could there be an exhaust leak giving the wideband a reading that's leaner than it really is?
kadamsgt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kadamsgt »

Matt, The fuel map is has been changed after the last firmware update that warned the fuel table would be lean after upgrade. Before I switched to wasted spark the fuel table gave me a very steady 13.1-13.5 at WOT in 4th gear. I did notice after work that the Transistors have a continuity between the metal back and ground. The mica insulator and thermal paste are in there along with the alignment spacer. I think the missfire may be linked to the transistor bodies being grounded when they are intended to be isolated. I am switching to nylon screw this evening and will report my results. Thanks for your replies so far.

Kyle A.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Which transistors show the metal tab being grounded?
kadamsgt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kadamsgt »

All three of them were showing a short between the heatsink and metal back of the transistor. I Installed nylon screws to remedy the problem. However the car still has a miss that really does not let it accelerate hardly at all. I am going to put new spark plug wires on it tonight to see if the spark may be leaking out and not making it to the plug.
kadamsgt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kadamsgt »

At this point I have figured out that the miss is on cylinders 3-6. I put the timing light on each of the wires and the miss is very apparent on the coil that drives 3-6. SO I replaced the coil pack with no change and the transistor that drives it with no change. I then connected the led circuit to the output and the led was very intermittent leading me to believe that the output signal from the ecu was bad. I ordered a new ms1 V3 ecu and tried to load the current firmware on it. at this point I get an error message when trying to burn the firmware of( expected" and received"" ). This is the same laptop and usb to rs232 that I have been using for the last 6-7 years and never have had any trouble burning firmware up to this point. I have tried with boot jumper and without with the same error every time. Has anyone else had this error when trying to burn firmware. Also the computer connects with tuner studio just fine it just will not load when i try to sent the firmware.

Thanks

Kyle A.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Are you trying to load firmware with TunerStudio's integrated loader or the utility included with the MS1/Extra code?
kadamsgt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kadamsgt »

using the utility with the MS1/Extra Code. I thought the loader in TS was only good for MS2

Thanks
kadamsgt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kadamsgt »

I still am unable to burn the 029y code to the new cpu. purchased serial adapter from diyautotune and still the same error. Expected "Boot>" received "". Has any one ever received a micro controller that was defective? I am really out of ideas as to why this will not load.
kadamsgt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kadamsgt »

Finally able to get the firmware burn to controller. The boot Loader pin on the board itself had one of the legs not soldered. Fixed that and loaded with no problems. Loaded tune and still have a pretty messy misfire. What is the difference in the wheel decoder modes. 025 vs 024s9

Thanks

Kyle