Teensy-based CANbus gauge (and more)

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

xrattiracer
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Teensy-based CANbus gauge (and more)

Post by xrattiracer »

I've done some cost analysis and i would have to sell these for at least $200 to be worth my time. And even that wouldnt leave me very much profit.
Its an open design though, everything needed to make one will be in the github repository.
mickeymarrows
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by mickeymarrows »

xrattiracer wrote:I've done some cost analysis and i would have to sell these for at least $200 to be worth my time. And even that wouldnt leave me very much profit.
Its an open design though, everything needed to make one will be in the github repository.

Are you going to sell the boards? I know that I for one have all the parts needed to put one together (except for display as I've been using a 4D systems in my own experiments) so would prefer to assemble my own..
'82 Golf GTI ABF 16v MS2 Extra sequential COP
'77 Scirocco G60 MS2 Extra sequential
xrattiracer
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by xrattiracer »

I could but I dont think it would help you too much since the 4d systems display uses serial and the oled one i am using uses spi.
mickeymarrows
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by mickeymarrows »

xrattiracer wrote:I could but I dont think it would help you too much since the 4d systems display uses serial and the oled one i am using uses spi.
Sorry, I didn't mean I planned to use the 4D systems display, I meant I would only need to purchase the Adafruit display and neo ring to complete the kit... and obviously one of your cards... :D
xrattiracer
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by xrattiracer »

ahh i see.
It costs about $15 to have 3 boards made at oshpark, probably more cost effective for you to just order them yourself since it would end up being similar for me to ship one board. I will let you know once I have the artwork posted to the github repo or have it up as a shared project on oshpark. oshpark is also where i get the teensy modules from.
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

Hi Xrattiracer,

You gave me the start for looking at this project and I now following Seb's one. But in all case you're great.
I can supply, repair or upgrade Megasquirts in FRANCE.

https://www.megasquirt.fr
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

Your code is clear and should work well. I'll give a try to it when I'll fine with pinout ;-)

Zaphod
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Zaphod »

@xrattiracer - any updates on your project? I am still trying to figure out, whether I go the DIY way with your setup or buying the complete gauge from the other thread...

Do you have a list of parts (apart from the listed breakout boards, LED-ring etc.) you need to build your setup?
Thanks in advance!
--------------------------------
fun is not a straight line

Sven
http://www.mx-5club-sachsen.de
http://miata.cardomain.com/id/svenmx5
NB-1998-1,6-Garrett T25 HGP Turbo Stage I
xrattiracer
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by xrattiracer »

nothing really new yet.
I will try to get everything else posted to the git repo soon. My car isnt actually in any running condition right now so i have no way to test it on the road.
mickeymarrows
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by mickeymarrows »

How is this project coming along xrattiracer?
Zaphod
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Zaphod »

Any news about that?
--------------------------------
fun is not a straight line

Sven
http://www.mx-5club-sachsen.de
http://miata.cardomain.com/id/svenmx5
NB-1998-1,6-Garrett T25 HGP Turbo Stage I
xrattiracer
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by xrattiracer »

nothing really new yet. not really expecting to get much more done on it any time soon due to not having a running car to test it in. I need to find someone local to be a guinea pig perhaps...
I am checking out some other options for the microcontroller to reduce cost though. ultimately i want to be able to do single analog (stepper motor driven) or digital (or combo) gauges for a similar cost as autometer mechanical gauges. but thats a different project...
acab
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by acab »

where i can download Gerber files to produce it?
xrattiracer
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by xrattiracer »

Eagle files for board artwork, a hopefully complete BOM, and an STL file of the housing have been posted to the git repo.
This stuff is still very experimental, I have made changes to the board files since I last had them fabbed, and i have not done a complete assembly of the housing. As well as the code still having known issues.
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

Thanks Xratti :D

humjaba
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by humjaba »

Hey xratti
I found your posts on mx5atlanta and wanted to say that I am up in Greenville SC. I have an MS3 and would be interested in something similar to what you have (maybe using one of the 4d screens on the dash) but wanted to ask if you were still looking for testers? I'd love to give it a try.

Tyler
mickeymarrows
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by mickeymarrows »

xrattiracer wrote:Eagle files for board artwork, a hopefully complete BOM, and an STL file of the housing have been posted to the git repo.
This stuff is still very experimental, I have made changes to the board files since I last had them fabbed, and i have not done a complete assembly of the housing. As well as the code still having known issues.
Hello xrattiracer,

I've just got around to trying to order some of your boards from OSH Park, but having trouble as the website rejects the files as "not Eagle files". Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I've tried to open the .brd in Eagle and get pretty much the same error.
Error:

line 5, column 25: This is not an EAGLE file.
Martin

Edit:
Found the problem, the files uploaded to github are embedded as HTML files. I had to open them in IE and then extract the .BRD into Notepad++
Spit4ag
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Spit4ag »

This looks awesome. This is exactly what I need to replace my temp gauge. But I have one question, would it work if you left out the GPS and accelerometer?
mickeymarrows
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by mickeymarrows »

Hello again xrattiracer,

Ive now completed the build, but I just cannot get the code to compile :(
C:\Documents and Settings\Georgina tyrrell\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\FastLED-master/fastspi_arm_k20.h: In member function 'void ARMHardwareSPIOutput<_DATA_PIN, _CLOCK_PIN, _SPI_CLOCK_DIVIDER, pSPIX>::init()':
C:\Documents and Settings\Georgina tyrrell\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\FastLED-master/fastspi_arm_k20.h:194:24: error: 'SPI0' was not declared in this scope
if((SPI_t*)pSPIX == &SPI0) {
I copied and pasted the code from github, can you offer any insight? Im reasonably good with Arduino, but these errors are beyond my knowledge level..

Martin
Last edited by mickeymarrows on Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
93white3400z
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93white3400z »

SPI0 was renamed to KINETISL_SPI0 in newer version of teensyduino. The rest looks like warnings (easy to fix too).
1993 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24
3400 Turbocharged Inter-cooled
MS3 v3.57+MS3X