New Type Relay Board

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

New Type Relay Board

Postby masp » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:04 pm

Hello,

I am in process to develop new type of relay board for my self, and maybe for others if there is interest.
idea is simple, all in one, all wires from one place, all relays, fuses in one board, S1-S5 is the same outputs as on original B&G relay board.
I tried to keep high current output traces short, fat, double sided and away from signal inputs.
My addons:

additional 6 +12V fused outputs for single ignition coil or coilpack, wideband controller, etc., from fuel pump relay
one +12v fused output when ignition on (hall sensors, or anything that need 12v with ignition on)
Additional relay, with one 12V fused output, that can be switched on via programmable outputs, for example electric fan etc.
db37 3-6 pin outputs to terminals
fatter trace sizes
multi fuse holder for different type of fuses
atx connector for input.

pcb size is 100x100 mm

any questions/suggestions welcome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by masp on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
masp
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: New Type Relay Board

Postby DaveEFI » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:45 am

My view is I don't want any additional connections unless essential. So if I were designing one, I'd make it handle the power side only, with all sensors going direct to the MS DB37. And the same with the main MS grounds.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Postby gtmdriver » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:41 am

I am driving a 4 cylinder wasted spark Ford coil pack directly from the MegaSquirt 2 v3 rather than using the Ford EDIS unit. The standard relay board wiring only provides one high current ignition output and I needed a second one.

I solved the problem by wiring the VR sensor directly to the MS unit to free up a terminal and then wiring pin 6 on the MS D37 connector to pin 24 on the relay board D37 connector so that terminal 15 on the relay board connector strip became the second high current ignition output but it would have been easier if there had been a dedicated second ignition output on the relay board connector.

That's my suggestion. Additional high current ignition driver outputs on the relay board.
gtmdriver
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Postby masp » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:49 am

Pins S1-S4 are outputs from megasquirt pins 3-6, traces to S3 and S4 are 2.5 mm wide from one and 3mm wide from second pcb sides, if i am correct that wil be enaugh for 8.3 amps of current, and i think can be used as high current ignition outputs. Pin S5 is pin from megasquirt pin 36, trace width is 3mm from both pcb sides. Ground to megasquirt is 3mm wide from both pcb sides. I preffer to use IGBTs outside megasquirt case.
masp
MS/Extra Newbie

Postby DaveEFI » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:42 am

The other thing is having a plug to plug connector between MS and the relay board means the distance between the two is restricted to available loom lengths. Unless you make up your own. But then you have easy to wire screw terminals for all the other connections.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Postby masp » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:51 am

So i made my first prototype, but with old design, it has no additional sensor ground, but with short cable to ms, i think it will have no problems, so for now some testing in process..

Here is assembled pcb. https://ibb.co/eTDCcw
masp
MS/Extra Newbie

Postby ChevelleFan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:50 pm

Nice work!

I know the relay board gets a bad rap around here and I've always wondered why someone never updated the old one. I use one in my Chevelle and it has worked great. You should consider adding enough terminal capacity to accommodate wires from the DB15 on the 3.57 boards.

-Dave
'70 Chevelle zz383/700r4/3.55 MS2-Extra, Holley Stealthram, 12.18 @ 109
'92 Saturn 1.9 DOHC/5sp, MS2-Extra
ChevelleFan
Master MS/Extra'er

Postby masp » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:24 pm

so for now i have two versions of drawings , one with db37 connector, other with atx connector.
advantage of db37 version is that it can be plugged straight in to megasquirt without any cables, but disadvantage is thinner one sided traces. Megasquirt and relay board need to be in the same level, screwed to panel. If there is something bad about db37 version that i am missing, please tell me, so will not waste time on that. This booth versions is with cheaper fuse holders.

masp
MS/Extra Newbie

Return to Expansion boards