Expansion Board startup

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

WolfGTI
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Expansion Board startup

Post by WolfGTI »

Hello all,
I am sure you've read about the expansion board that can allow a MS-II/ MS I hybrid and a couple other scenarios. Well to get things started we need to get $300. - I am very interested in these boards and I'm willing to contribute towards this anyone else willing to step up to the plate - I am gauging interest here, but I would like serious people to step forward, 10 people would be 30/person, more would lessen the load on each person. So come on up. I will not be collecting money or anything like that - I am just looking for interested people and then will coordinate with the creator if the boards to get this done.
deviousKA
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by deviousKA »

I am interested in investing in one of these, assuming the next batch will have all of the rs232 implemented.

I know this isnt exactly a questions thread, but some more detail on the rs232 system for the dual processors (will there be two seperate rs232, combined into one?) would be helpful. Also just a basic overview of what types of code can be run on the processors (assuming one ms2, one 908).

If I can somewhat easily run code that has already been developed for either processor, and be able to update and modify the code without a special programmer or in-depth knowledge of the C code (within reason) I am interested.

I am a paypal purchaser within the US btw.
ca434sbc4
Experienced MS/Extra'er

rs 232

Post by ca434sbc4 »

The exp board will have a seperate rs232 port if we get enough interest.
WolfGTI
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by WolfGTI »

I am willing to foot a max of 1/3 of the $300 startup cost - anyone else want to step up and make this happen ?
WolfGTI
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by WolfGTI »

No one interested at all??? :(
ca434sbc4
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ca434sbc4 »

bump
WolfGTI
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by WolfGTI »

No one stepping up yet.
MSnS-E, V2.2, MT2.25
MS2-Extra, V3.0, MT2.25
DIESEL62
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by DIESEL62 »

Has anyone got the original board running yet ?
jonfx4com
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jonfx4com »

I'll stand $100.00 as I have several things I want to do on my car the will need the board so it seems fair, least I can do after the help the MS2 and all the folks on this board have been to me. Let me know how you want it. Paypal would be best as I'm outside the US/Canada.

Jon
WolfGTI
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by WolfGTI »

jonfx4com wrote:I'll stand $100.00 as I have several things I want to do on my car the will need the board so it seems fair, least I can do after the help the MS2 and all the folks on this board have been to me. Let me know how you want it. Paypal would be best as I'm outside the US/Canada.

Jon

Good - now we have 200$ - anyone else willing to step up?
MSnS-E, V2.2, MT2.25
MS2-Extra, V3.0, MT2.25
DIESEL62
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by DIESEL62 »

YEP NOW YOUVE GOT ANOTHER $100 BUT IM DOWN IN NEW ZEALAND .
WolfGTI
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by WolfGTI »

Ok so we have $300 - let me get in touch with the guy who designed the board and get this moving.
MSnS-E, V2.2, MT2.25
MS2-Extra, V3.0, MT2.25
WolfGTI
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by WolfGTI »

I have contacted the board designer - he is taking the steps to have a run of the boards done. Please bear with us until this is done, in the meanwhile we will plan the transfer of money, I will let him state when the money needs to be transferred.
MSnS-E, V2.2, MT2.25
MS2-Extra, V3.0, MT2.25
ca434sbc4
Experienced MS/Extra'er

New board revision - payment

Post by ca434sbc4 »

First thank you to Wolf for getting interest in the new revision.

For the folks who have bellied up to the bar and are ready to contribute please foward your funds to wolf with in the next week or so. Once Wolf has got your funds we will be ready to go soon afterwards.

I'll get the PCB files ready and post a screen capture of the new layout. Once this is posted wolf will forward the funds to me and I'll order the boards from the PCB shop. About 14 days later I should get the boards which I will inspect , and then ship 6 boards to wolf who will send them onwards (I just don't have time to do a multiple mail outs) less the boards for himself.

Marc
WolfGTI
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by WolfGTI »

First $100 received via paypal - thanks to jonfx4com
MSnS-E, V2.2, MT2.25
MS2-Extra, V3.0, MT2.25
WolfGTI
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by WolfGTI »

The 2nd $100 has been received - thanks Diesel62. We are movign along here quite nicely.
MSnS-E, V2.2, MT2.25
MS2-Extra, V3.0, MT2.25
deviousKA
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by deviousKA »

Why so expensive to get these boards made??

I mean, I understand the profit factor for the person who engineered it, but $200 would buy 35-50 boards soldermasked and everything? Why pay $300 for a semi-prototype part order, that would be a fat stack of boards?

To get like a batch of 10 made it would cost about $50 max considering the start up cost and shipping.

And sure, you can pay more for "top" quality pcb's from a huge professional pcb manufacturing house, but this would be extremely overkill for this little board. The lower price board houses with no minimum orders do decent work, I get boards made all of the time.

Here is a couple places.

Futurlec.com
Sparkfun.com
ca434sbc4
Experienced MS/Extra'er

expansion cost

Post by ca434sbc4 »

The board houses that are in Vancouver have a min. $200 tooling charge + XXX$ for the first run. It either pay them or pay UPS brokerage and duty which is not cheap.

I am not making any $$ for doing the work. IF there is extra $$ left over I'll ask the folks who contributed if they want to get additional boards or get the left over cash back.
deviousKA wrote:Why so expensive to get these boards made??

I mean, I understand the profit factor for the person who engineered it, but $200 would buy 35-50 boards soldermasked and everything? Why pay $300 for a semi-prototype part order, that would be a fat stack of boards?

Here is a couple places.

Futurlec.com
Sparkfun.com