BETA :) RELEASE of PWM 2 STEPPER controller

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

robiniddon
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by robiniddon »

Enrico - in the image you posted there appear to be two unrouted signals - just in case you hadn't spotted that.

Any views on driving 5-wire unipolar stepper motors with this circuit?

Cheers,
Robin
masterx81
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by masterx81 »

Hi!
I'm in a stop state... The problems to my car and some extra work are eating my time (yesterday i've had a car accident, a man has smashed the rear of my car... One accinet for year, not bad!).
As first as i have time, i put my hands on the code for adding serial communication...
For the unrouted traces, the one on the bottom was fixed immediatly after posting the image, and the one on the top it's only a mistake, as the trace is well connected, but at the wrong point (to the wrong pin of the jumper...)
Enrico
Opel/Vauxhall Corsa GSi MS2
Subaru v4 EJ20 MS3
arkadi
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by arkadi »

robiniddon wrote:Any views on driving 5-wire unipolar stepper motors with this circuit?
http://www.msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=26824
Joe Clark
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Joe Clark »

I too would be very interested in the ability to use this to control boost on a VGT turbo.

aero wrote:I'm very interested in trying to use this project to control a Holset VGT turbo with its stepper motor control for boost control.

How is it coming?
McAdam
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by McAdam »

I would also like the ability to control a VGT holset with this board! any ideas on if its feasible? the turbo model is he351VE. or, just google holset and VGT to get an idea on how Holset sets up their boost control wiht a stepper motor.
TurboCamaro
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TurboCamaro »

Boy, am I behind the times...

For the past couple of weeks I've been contemplating if there is a way to use the single PWM FIdle output on the MS-1 MSNS-extra fed to some type of "converter" board to control the 4-wire GM stepper motor IAC. I collected samples from Microchip of PIC microcontrollers(PIC16F684), and MOSFET drivers(TC4468CPD) thinking I could figure out how to do it. Then I figured I should just copy the circuit used on MS-2 so I got some samples of the 24 pin DIP UDN2916B from Allegro.

I jumped on the message board getting ready to post up a question about feasability of this and I find this thread nearly a couple of years old where you've already done exactly this! Thanks!! Great work! Now I just need to get some samples of the PIC16F628. I have access to a PIC programmer so that isn't an issue.

I read through all 9 pages and I have a few of questions.
Is the L6219 directly compatable with the UDN2916? So I can use the 2916 that I have instead of the L6219 and keep the PCB just as it is shown in the information from the FTP site on page 3?

Also, it seems like the currect stable/working version is the one on page 3. So I should be able to construct this as is and expect it to work on my MS-1 MSNS-extra powered camaro with a 4-wire stepper IAC? I currently just have it plugged and I'm not running any idle control and would very much like to run this.

Is the quarts still requiered for that page 3 version?

What home PCB making methods are people using? Something that can be had from Radio Shack? There is a guy I work with that made his own CNC router type table that can route PCBs with some trial and error so I might be able to try and make it that way. If not I can just use a breadboard.

When I first read through the first few posts of this thread I was thinking how neat it would be to have an input for speeding up the idle for when the A/C comes on and I was going to suggest it...yet when I got further in to the thread I saw it was already done. Excellent! :D

I definitely plan on building this...I just need to wait until my PIC16F628 samples arrive to get started.
-Wayne

1994 3.4L V6 Camaro 5 spd.
Custom Turbocharged/Intercooled
TurboCamaro
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TurboCamaro »

One more question: To get the output from the MS-1 do I need to swap out the original 2N2222A FIdle transistor on my v2.2 board for the TIP122? I'm thinking not since the switch is mainly for more current capacity but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't for speed/pulse width requierments.

Thanks!
-Wayne

ptegler
Experienced MS/Extra'er

parts list for digi-key

Post by ptegler »

I went digging through the digikey catalog and started confusing myself.

Is anyone that has built this board, ordering there parts from digi-key, in a position to possibly list the exact part numbers they ordered, or can scan their order sheet in for the rest of us to use?

The help would MUCH appreciated. (please please please...) yes...I'm begging! :cry:

tia

ptegler
masterx81
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by masterx81 »

McAdam wrote:I would also like the ability to control a VGT holset with this board! any ideas on if its feasible? the turbo model is he351VE. or, just google holset and VGT to get an idea on how Holset sets up their boost control wiht a stepper motor.
Sorry, but i not know that thing...
But if it's a 4 wire stepper motor, and the input signal is a pwm, yes, probably this circuit is right for you :-)
This circuit will convert any pwm signal ina a stepper movement.
What's the procedure to set the value on that VGT thing? When powered, the stepper where need to go to find the '0' position? I need a little more specs to see if my circuit can be used 100% with than thing...
Enrico
Subaru v4 EJ20 MS3
masterx81
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by masterx81 »

TurboCamaro wrote:Boy, am I behind the times...

For the past couple of weeks I've been contemplating if there is a way to use the single PWM FIdle output on the MS-1 MSNS-extra fed to some type of "converter" board to control the 4-wire GM stepper motor IAC. I collected samples from Microchip of PIC microcontrollers(PIC16F684), and MOSFET drivers(TC4468CPD) thinking I could figure out how to do it. Then I figured I should just copy the circuit used on MS-2 so I got some samples of the 24 pin DIP UDN2916B from Allegro.

I jumped on the message board getting ready to post up a question about feasability of this and I find this thread nearly a couple of years old where you've already done exactly this! Thanks!! Great work! Now I just need to get some samples of the PIC16F628. I have access to a PIC programmer so that isn't an issue.

I read through all 9 pages and I have a few of questions.
Is the L6219 directly compatable with the UDN2916? So I can use the 2916 that I have instead of the L6219 and keep the PCB just as it is shown in the information from the FTP site on page 3?
The UDN2916 isn't pin-to-pin compatible with the l6219, some pins are swapped, apart this, it probably work well as the l6219...
TurboCamaro wrote: Also, it seems like the currect stable/working version is the one on page 3. So I should be able to construct this as is and expect it to work on my MS-1 MSNS-extra powered camaro with a 4-wire stepper IAC? I currently just have it plugged and I'm not running any idle control and would very much like to run this.
Yes, the current 'release' version is at page 3, at home i've already built the hw for communicationg with this circuit via serial comms, but i have no time to develop the software :-( I have my bedroom/lab full of things that need to be repaired :-(
As now, i not say of this circuit will work on a real car, as i haven't still installed ms in may car, so neither this circuit. But on the bench it works very well... Some users have built it, but noone have confirmed that it work... So, i can't confirm this at 100%!
TurboCamaro wrote: Is the quarts still requiered for that page 3 version?
The quartz is still used in that version, and the schematic in the zip 'must' work as is...
TurboCamaro wrote: What home PCB making methods are people using? Something that can be had from Radio Shack? There is a guy I work with that made his own CNC router type table that can route PCBs with some trial and error so I might be able to try and make it that way. If not I can just use a breadboard.
You can use this method:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1521809521
You can heat the board also with an iron...

TurboCamaro wrote: When I first read through the first few posts of this thread I was thinking how neat it would be to have an input for speeding up the idle for when the A/C comes on and I was going to suggest it...yet when I got further in to the thread I saw it was already done. Excellent! :D
Yes, was already implemented... In the coming new version there is a programmable pull-up/down, programmable trigger front (for low to high or viceversa), and also other nice things that i've wrote on a previous thread...
TurboCamaro wrote: I definitely plan on building this...I just need to wait until my PIC16F628 samples arrive to get started.
I hope that this circuit can help you in your installation (and when i've fully fixed my car and installed ms on it, also me! :-) ).
Please, if you build this, and you get i working, please post back the results :-)
Enrico
Subaru v4 EJ20 MS3
masterx81
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: parts list for digi-key

Post by masterx81 »

ptegler wrote:I went digging through the digikey catalog and started confusing myself.

Is anyone that has built this board, ordering there parts from digi-key, in a position to possibly list the exact part numbers they ordered, or can scan their order sheet in for the rest of us to use?

The help would MUCH appreciated. (please please please...) yes...I'm begging! :cry:

tia

ptegler
Sorry, i'm italian, and i've buyied all the parts form a local reseller of electronic parts. I hope that someone else can help you!
Enrico
Subaru v4 EJ20 MS3
TurboCamaro
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TurboCamaro »

masterx81 wrote: The UDN2916 isn't pin-to-pin compatible with the l6219, some pins are swapped, apart this, it probably work well as the l6219...
I just looked at the datasheets of both of these chips and it looks like only 4 pins are different. Pins 3 and 4 are swapped between the two chips and pins 22 and 23 are also swapped between the two chips.

I looked at your schematic and it looks like you tied pins 3 and 4 directly together and you also tied pins 22 and 23 directly together. This makes me think that there would be no difference in the way it is wired up no matter which chip is used.

Does that seem right?
-Wayne

masterx81
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by masterx81 »

TurboCamaro wrote:
masterx81 wrote: The UDN2916 isn't pin-to-pin compatible with the l6219, some pins are swapped, apart this, it probably work well as the l6219...
I just looked at the datasheets of both of these chips and it looks like only 4 pins are different. Pins 3 and 4 are swapped between the two chips and pins 22 and 23 are also swapped between the two chips.

I looked at your schematic and it looks like you tied pins 3 and 4 directly together and you also tied pins 22 and 23 directly together. This makes me think that there would be no difference in the way it is wired up no matter which chip is used.

Does that seem right?
Doh, you're right! :-)
It's too much time that i not touch the schematic of this circuit, and i've forgot that...
Probably they are 100% compatible :)
Enrico
Subaru v4 EJ20 MS3
TurboCamaro
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TurboCamaro »

Thanks for looking at it. I think I will go ahead and see if they are any issues with their compatiability especially since STMicroelectronics doesn't offer any free samples for the L6219.

That method for making PCBs looks really interesting. I may have to translate from german the things that were being used other than the acetone and dish detergent and see if I can try it out...
-Wayne

Poolside
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Poolside »

TurboCamaro wrote:Is the L6219 directly compatible with the UDN2916?
Yes Wayne, the two parts are drop-in, pin-to-pin compatible. Functionally and electrically equivalent.

- Jim
TurboCamaro
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: parts list for digi-key

Post by TurboCamaro »

ptegler wrote:I went digging through the digikey catalog and started confusing myself.

tia

ptegler
I plan on building this board and I ordered a few parts while I wait for some other things to come in. I only got a few of the parts because I'm pretty sure I can get the others local. I'm also not 100% sure that these parts will work but I'll find out soon.

Here are a few digikey part numbers that I used:
-1ohm 1watt resistor: PPC1.0W-1CT-ND
-100uF, 35v, electrolytic capacitor: P5551-ND
-4MHz oscillator: X006-ND
-5.1v zener diode: 1N4733AFSCT-ND

And this one should work for the 5v regulator(it's the same one used on the v2.2 megasquirt board
-5v regulator: LM2937ET-5.0-ND
-Wayne

masterx81
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by masterx81 »

The lm LM2937ET-5.0-ND must be pin to pin compatiblem so it should work.
Sorry but this week end i've not had time to send you the geber files...
This evening i see if i find some spare time. What file format did you like?
I see what i can do...
Enrico
Subaru v4 EJ20 MS3
TurboCamaro
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TurboCamaro »

I believe file format of .gbr should work.

Thanks!
-Wayne

ptegler
Experienced MS/Extra'er

MOUSER , COM parts list

Post by ptegler »

here's the parts list I used.... minus the +5V reg as I have a ton on the shelf here. (see attached file) Any stock LM7805 version works fine. The list includes the 232 chip... not needed. You can prog the 628 in ckt with the Pickit2

I programmed the two 628A's I bought last night with my PicKit2 and it went flawlessly (once I figured out the pin out.....now to build the ckt.

Radio Shack and the like no longer carry their board etching kits. Anyone know a supplier where you don't have to order all the stuff individually? I'd prefer to stick with the old etching solution version kit, and dont; want a ton more than I need just to etch up two small board.

tia
ptegler
ptegler @ cablespeed.com
My Success story: http://www.msruns.com/viewtopic.php?t=21806
Home site: http://www.teglerizer.com/Injected_Spit6.htm
ptegler
Experienced MS/Extra'er

pull up or pull down

Post by ptegler »

I've built up the board as configured and enclosed in the ZIP file.
My question though is do the UP DN switches and LED ti back to V+ or to GND???

In other words do I come off the board to the switch and tie the other side of the switch to V+ of ground to complete the function?
ptegler
ptegler @ cablespeed.com
My Success story: http://www.msruns.com/viewtopic.php?t=21806
Home site: http://www.teglerizer.com/Injected_Spit6.htm