Peak and hold injector driver board

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

undesiredshoe
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Peak and hold injector driver board

Post by undesiredshoe »

So since the 2.0 board has been discontinued for the meantime and since i really need a injector driver board; I did some looking around. On a honda ecu tuning site, a member said he got the 1.1 board to work on his honda with the honda ecu. I believe the honda ecu controls the injectors the same way as my nissan ecu. I have read that the 1.1 board wont work as a replacement for a resistor pack but he got it to work so i assume it should work.

I was looking at the diagram showing how to wire up the 2.0 board and it looks like the 1.1 diagram.

This is the 2.0 board

This is the 1.1board

My ecu uses a main 12v source for each injector and there is 4 separate ground pins that go to the ecu. I currently have a resistor pack wire in between each 12v wire. I still dont understand why the 1.1 board wont work with my ecu.
undesiredshoe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by undesiredshoe »

I need a 2.0 board badly!! Anyone have an extra one?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The difference is that in one case the board is put in the wiring harness (like a resistor box) while in the other case the board replaces the injector drivers in the ECU. That means the signals going to the board are quite different (one is a grounding signal while in the second case it is a 5V pulse) and one board is power directly from 12V while the other is powered from the ECU 5V supply.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
undesiredshoe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by undesiredshoe »

OOhh haha ok i get it. Sorry for my noobness. But yea, you think youre gonna be getting any 2.0 boards soon or is the schematic opensource? I have the components to build one sitting in my room just waiting to be put to use.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

If there are people who want the V2.0 board (4-driver standalone box), it is now available here completely assembled.

The V1.1B (complete kit or bare board) is still available for those who want to go the DIY way and want the drivers integrated in the standard MS case.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
karter74
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by karter74 »

So can a schematic be produced for the 2.0 board if some of us want to build our own?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I don't want to be an ass but if you want to make your own board you should be able to make your own schematic. Just look at the LM1949 data sheet and what it needs and look at the injector signal.

By the way, if you compare the price of the assembled V2.0 unit with the other commercial units you'll see that it is a bargain. And if you were to buy the parts to make one, the savings would not be that big (unless you get bulk prices for the parts) and you would still have to assemble it and you not have any warranty.

Jean
jsanches
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jsanches »

Hello,

I've been reading all this topic and I'm very interested on this board.
Is the TC426CPA a drop in replacement for the IXDI404PI?

Regards,
Juliano
Chevy Opala Diplomata 4.1 - TBI Holley and Hall Sensor
Megasquirt-II [2.1.0], PCB v2.2, Peak and Hold Driver Board
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Yes the TC426CPA is a drop in replacement for the IXDI404PI and will work the same way with the p&h board. You just need to follow the same instructions shown on the web site for connecting the p&h board to the MS board.

Jean
jsanches
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jsanches »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Yes the TC426CPA is a drop in replacement for the IXDI404PI and will work the same way with the p&h board. You just need to follow the same instructions shown on the web site for connecting the p&h board to the MS board.

Jean
Thank you Jean for your prompt answer.
I'm runnig with two low-z injectors and planning to move to your P&H board. In this case, do I need to populate the board entirelly to run?

Thank you,
Juliano
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You can just populate 2 drivers and the flyback section (1 resistor (R1), 1 diode (D1), and the TIP42 (Q1)).

Jean
jsanches
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jsanches »

Could I use resistors 0,1ohm of 5% instead of 1%(R2,R4,R6 and R8)?

Thank you!
Juliano
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You can but there will be obviously be more variation in the resistor values so more variation in the peak/hold currents between injectors. That could also mean some variation in the closing time. But it should be ok.

Jean
dexion7
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by dexion7 »

does the board control the 'hold' period the same way as the set up on V3?

the data sheet for the lm1419 offers two configurations: rapid switching (as V3) or a secondary method which if i understand it correctly, uses the drivers to provide effectivly series resistance to limit current.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The board doesn't use PWM (rapid switching) like the V3 board driver. Instead it uses the Darlington transistors in a linear mode (which has a similar effect to a series resistance). This means that the electrical noise is reduced to almost nothing and, since the ground is off the main board, whatever noise is left is not going to affect the ECU. However, it does generate more heat but this is managed by using the case as the heat sink.

Jean
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Just a quick message to say that the v2.0 board is now available again. It is only available as a bare board for now but I will have components kits in the near future and I will complete the missing sections on the web page. The V2.1 board (8-driver board) is also available again but I haven't put the web page up yet.

Jean
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I now have complete kits available for the v2.0 board. I will update the web page with the information but the complete kit is available for $90 plus shipping. It includes the board, all the components and mounting hardware, the case and 2 grommets. It does not include a connector or wires. Shipping will be more expensive than for other kits I offer due to the size of the case.

I will also offer components kits which will include the board and the components but will not include the case (or grommets). This partial kit is $73 plus shipping and shipping is the same cost as other kits. I still offer the bare board for $20 plus shipping.

At this time the cases are black cases and the number is limited.

Jean
Perkele
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Perkele »

This may be a stupid question but can the p&h V1.1 board control Hi Z injectors without problems?
I now have 16ohm injectors but if I change them, I woudn't have to worry which I use later Low Z or High Z with the p&h board...?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Yes, you can drive high Z injectors with the p&h drivers. So you can install the board now and switch to low Z injectors later.

Jean
JAM
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by JAM »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Yes, you can drive high Z injectors with the p&h drivers. So you can install the board now and switch to low Z injectors later.

Jean
what benefits would you get from using the board with hi Z injectors? Would you have to use any different components in the board for use with the hi Z injectors?