LCDash -Graphical LCD Digital Dashboard released!

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

Great stuff guys! Image I like the first bargraph display as it contains more digestible info in the space, but more importantly, it does not require 'reading' the gauges. Only a quick look at the bars and you know what it's saying without taking your eyes off the road for more than a glance.

Perhaps there could be 2 optional gauge sets, one with analog dials and one with bargraphs. In either case, a centering option would be much desired by the serious racing crowd, that rotates or centers gauges so that 'normal' is at 12 o'clock or center.

David
rs-pssst
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rs-pssst »

Good suggestion. Shouldn't be too hard to do since the whole screen is drawn programatically.
LCDash, a MegaSquirt Digital Dashboard
devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

As MegaScott suggested I would like to have two large analoge gauges (Speed and RPM) plus some small digital of bar graphs (water temp, oil pressure, fuel level) so I can use it as the dash in a hot rod.

Cheers Daniel
rs-pssst
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rs-pssst »

In the version 1.6 firmware we have been working on a bunch more selectable gauge layouts. A multiple large analog gauge layout is coming soon.

Pics are long overdue -we'll get some up here.
BoostedXD
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by BoostedXD »

Guys, im so impressed, and well done...

Looks so impressive and there is still so much more to come...

Whos the best person or place to get some info on getting one of these babies over to Australia...?

Thanks Guys and well done

Jason...
rs-pssst
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rs-pssst »

Just PM Mike or Myself. We'll gladly answer any questions. :D

Also, you can check out the Wiki where we have information, pictures, videos, and ordering.

LCDash information:
[url]htp://lcdash.wikispaces.com[/url]

FYI,
our version 1.6 firmware offers up a ton of new gauge layouts and MS2/Extra serial reading passthrough using Megatune.

See the videos,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOyMSY5KL0Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNipuhkZqHs
rs-pssst
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rs-pssst »

Mike and I are always interesed in pics of unique LCDash installs.

As an example,
Megascott has a page over at MegaEFI showing an LCDash install into an actual MS aluminum case. More info

Corolla ae86
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Corolla ae86 »

it's not possible to change values of the megasquirt, is it?
That would be a veri nice option....

Great work.........respect!!
rs-pssst
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rs-pssst »

it's not possible to change values of the megasquirt, is it?
That would be a veri nice option....
As of right now, we're trying to make this the very best gauge solution possible for the MegaSquirt.

So as right now, the functionality of editing MS values has been low on the list.
rb26dett
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by rb26dett »

may i make a slight suggestion?

on the tradition circular guages, the needle could be hard to see at a glance or from the peripheral vision at speed. perhaps 2 or 3 pixels thick?

just a thought.

fred.
ms2,v3,cop,innovate,mazda fe3/fe-dohc 2l 4cyl with stock 10:1 pistons,4 stock coils,4 stock ignitors,rx7 550cc injectors maxed@6600rpm&17psi,custom everything,holset he351cw turbo,44mm ext gate,nis gtr bovs,nis gtr intercooler,70mm lexus throttle,chinese fpr,10may v2 ms2e alpha code
rs-pssst
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rs-pssst »

You may want to give the V1.7 firmware a shot. We made the needle more like a triangle. Also, notice there's another extra large digital gauge layout and VSS calibration.
eMTea
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eMTea »

It may be a dumb question, but i saw the "serial pass trough" video, would that say, that it is possible to run 2 LCDash at the same MS install? Showing different values on each screen?
-MS3X, (V3 PCB) 1.2 RC 1 firmware. Controlling a light modified Audi 1.8TQ AEB 20v engine with Holset HE221W turbo, 299.4 HP and 400Nm at the hubs in Dynapack.
rs-pssst
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rs-pssst »

To connect two LCDashes together, It requires some mods to the firmware allowing serial communications to be received on a fixed timer (like megatune).

Right now, the LCDash only passes serial data through to megatune.
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

Here are two ideas from my own similar project:

The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
rs-pssst
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rs-pssst »

Did you lay those interfaces out in paint?
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

Yes in that most of the sprites are done in bitmap (gimp) and then converted to their DB equivalents in flash. The driving mode is almost ready, the engine mode is yet to be done. Since I made these in early August I have decided to use 12V leds instead of graphic displays for the airbags, lights, battery, brakes etc. That will save me enough space so i can have graphic bars for the oil, coolant and afr instead of plain text.

Btw that LCD (240x128) uses the T6963C controller and is NOT a touchscreen.

Jim
The man behind MS Labs
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

Thats some imaginative looking screens there. There are a few more inputs on the LCDash that could be programmed to provide a few of those functions. I like the Odometer display and the cool tacho graphic. Also, how are you keeping time? got an RTC on there I imagine?
devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

I really like that first layout. That would be just about perfect for my Hot rod.
rabiddeity
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rabiddeity »

You know, I'm curious... these are all great designs on monochrome displays, but how much does a color LCD run these days? d*** if it wouldn't be cool to have color gauges, maybe on a screen large enough to display useful info but small enough to fit inside a dash.

Maybe one could omit the touchscreen if it would save on cost. I'd also suggest a new design should run from CAN instead of serial. That would neatly sidestep the whole "hogging the serial port" problem, and allow you to tune with a laptop while still having the gauges active.

Just a couple ideas to throw out there for the next iteration.
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

MegaScott wrote:There are a few more inputs on the LCDash that could be programmed to provide a few of those functions.
I'm not familiar with the specific processor so I can't comment on that.
MegaScott wrote:I like the Odometer display and the cool tacho graphic.
If you notice carefully, the tacho is set like this:

1) All vertical lines, interlaced (line, no line)
2) Each line represents 100 rpm
3) if (rpm<6500) y_base = y0 - rpm/100, else y_base = 40
4) For rpm < 4000, y_top = y_base - rpm/100
5) For 4000 < rpm <6500> 6500, y_top = 0
7) x_line = 2*rpm (so max is 240/2= 12000rpm if you dont need the gear indicator)

This makes it very quick to draw thanks to the T6963C.

The odometer has [tot], [A] and . Written to EEPROM and only saved when the brownout detector signals a power loss.
MegaScott wrote:Also, how are you keeping time? got an RTC on there I imagine?

Phillips PCF8583P RTC clock, using a 3V wristwatch battery as backup power. Reading the PCF is done via hardware two wire interface (sda, scl).
The man behind MS Labs