USB datalogger

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

USB datalogger

Post by Huey »

I'm in the process of building a USB thumb drive logger. I have the prototype working with MSI and plan on testing it today on MSII_extra . It saves data in FRD format. See this link for an explanation -->http://www.efianalytics.com/TunerStudio ... talog.html The logger has a real time clock for time stamping and can start logging on power up. A power down circuit will stop logging (not tested yet). This would allow the logger to run unsupervised until the USB stick was full. It also has a button to start and stop the logging along with 2 mode switches for baud rate and operating mode (time set or logging). I could add real time into the data stream if Phil Tobin of EFI Analytics agrees to extract it and add it to Megalog Viewer. This would allow you to look at a clock during an event and then find that same time in the file during viewing with Megalog Viewer. It looks like it will cost about $120 - $130 in kit form at this time. The kit would come with all through hole components for easy assembly along with a preprogrammed IC, a professionally made circuit board with solder mask and print screen, and all other parts to make a completed working assembly (USB stick not included). Why so expensive? Well making it work with a USB drive and a real time clock cost more. I could make it user selectable and leave out the real time clock and save you $6.00. The usb driver board adds about $20.00 compared to other storage methods. With volume the price will go lower. Now I need to know what everybody wants. The logger runs on the new propeller chip from Parallax see this link for an idea of what this chip can support http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downl ... Dschem.pdf. I guess I could make the software open source for others to add options like VGA output, composite video output, keyboard, and accelerometer. It could even write to the megasquirt and make changes. See here for all of the free software that is available for the propeller chip http://obex.parallax.com/. So give me some feedback.

--Right now it should support all variations of Megasquirt.
--Starts logging with a new file when Megasquirt powers up and stops when Megasquirt powers down.
--The software is easily field upgradeable without additional hardware through the serial port.
--End user can add there own signature when megasquirt firmware is upgraded.
--A real time clock stamps the files with date and time.
--Files are created on a USB thumb drive that can be read by a PC and converted using Tuner Studio.
--The circuit board will have optional connection points available for extended hardware.
-- Plugs into your existing cigarette lighter with optional adapter add $9.00 .

Thanks,
Huey
Last edited by Huey on Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dodge 2.2L MPI Turbo Power Running MSnS1/Extra.
Chevrolet 5.3 LM7 running MSnS2 /Extra
Chevrolet Twin Cam 4 cyl running MSnS2 / Extra
Home of the USB data logger---> http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 67&t=34901
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: USB data logger

Post by Huey »

Just tested with megasquirt version MS2Extra Rel 2.1.0p and it looks good. So far here are the supported versions.

"MS1/Extra format 029y3 *********",tested
"MSnS-extra format 029q *********",
"MS/Extra format hr_10 **********",
"MS/Extra format hr_11b *********",
"MSII Rev 2.88000 ",
"MSII Rev 2.88500 " ,
"MSII Rev 2.88600 ",
"MSII Rev 2.88900 ",
"MSII Rev 2.89000 ",
"MSII Rev 2.89100 ",
"MS2Extra Rev 1.0.2 ",
"MS2Extra Rel 2.0.0 ",
"MS2Extra Rel 2.1.0p",tested
"MS2Extra Rel 3.0.3r",tested
"MS2Extra Rev2.0b21 " ,

I need to know who would be interested in this before I invest too much money.

Huey
Home of the USB data logger---> http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 67&t=34901
Quan-Time
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Quan-Time »

MANY people are waiting and watching for MS3, which has logging on it already. So any money invested in a logger could be made redundant quickly.

I personally LOVE the idea of a logger, but its not hugely hard to make if you have the skills. Ive started working in other directions atm. Me personally, id say AWESOME GIMMIE, but my cash is reserved atm.
If you are interested in releasing a eagle for it, or diagram, im sure others will test it. But you could still make a "kit" on a per-order basis. Depends how you wanna go about it.
But seriously, good work !
join the (non official) Megasquirt IRC chat channel
##megasquirt @ irc.freenode.net
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=% ... irt&uio=d4 - click here to join live via java web-client, its instant !
http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?f=92 ... de#p204682
turbo355
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo355 »

Im interested all my setups use MS2 extra code , if you do make this open source that would be great im familure with Parallax products I use them now in my setups.
2000 Suzuki Hayabusa turbo MS3 beta testing Plug and Play standalone

http://interfacepnp.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/Busams
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: USB datalogger

Post by Huey »

Ok, now that MSIII has been released I need to see if this is worth pursuing any further. I have the circuit board drawing completed and the firmware has been tested and still needs a little tweaking. I have to buy a minimum of three circuit boards and I don't really want to invest anymore money unless I'm sure others would be interested. I would consider selling only the circuit boards and making the firmware, electrical diagrams, and BOM open source. I only want to recoup my investment. I don't really care about making money I just want to contribute. The more boards I have made the cheaper it gets. It looks like the blank circuit boards will cost about $25.00 to $35.00 each depending on quantities.

Huey
turbo355
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo355 »

I would be interested in this , MS2 is still a VERY viable processor and will be in use for a long time to come im sure .

If you need someone to go in on your proto boards just let me know .
2000 Suzuki Hayabusa turbo MS3 beta testing Plug and Play standalone

http://interfacepnp.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/Busams
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Huey wrote:Ok, now that MSIII has been released I need to see if this is worth pursuing any further. I have the circuit board drawing completed and the firmware has been tested and still needs a little tweaking. I have to buy a minimum of three circuit boards and I don't really want to invest anymore money unless I'm sure others would be interested. I would consider selling only the circuit boards and making the firmware, electrical diagrams, and BOM open source. I only want to recoup my investment. I don't really care about making money I just want to contribute. The more boards I have made the cheaper it gets. It looks like the blank circuit boards will cost about $25.00 to $35.00 each depending on quantities.

Huey
Please put me down for some. I have an installed base of MS2 cars and would like to provide this

I'll buy a couple of boards as soon as they are available!
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Given the video-output capability of the propeller chip, you might think about writing some sort of "digital dash" software (in your spare time :lol: ).

This would give you another product leveraging the hardware you've already designed, and would attract another whole group of interested people.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Huey »

First 3 boards will be in my hands on Friday... More testing is next.

Thanks for the support,

Huey
h22
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by h22 »

I know you only have 3 boards... But I would definatly be interested in one, or more.... :twisted: .

I beg you don't get discougaged by the MSIII, MS2 especially with the 3.0.3(x) is still a fantastic controller.

Just the fact that MS1 kits are still for sale, which I take as a sign the people are still buying them, should be evidence enough that there would be a demand.

Also, Don't forget all those running MS1&2 on motorcycles and quads and such, MSIII is massive overkill and spendy, a ~$30-$40 DIY data-logger would be a much prefered option to lugging around a laptop.

How many people do you think are running Microsquirt on there cars? that is another group.

Then there are the PNP boards that DIY Autotune sells, running the Microsquirt module, I'm sure a guy who pays $600 :!: for a PNP ECU would gladly pay extra for an on board logger!

If you have any extra boards, count me in. P.M. me or I can give you my e-mail adress ( forgot if that is ok on this forum... )
myk777
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by myk777 »

I've been waiting for something like this for years for my atv project, the laptop in the backpack gets old...lol, put me down for one.
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Huey »

OK, here is what the completed board looks like :yeah!: It is setup with through hole connections and a silk screen so anyone can assemble it. There is one mistake on the board. I accidentally connected U5(the real time clock) to 3.3v instead of 5v on V1.0 board only. It is easily repaired with a single jumper after cutting through one trace. The board has a row of connection points at the top for upgrades mentioned earlier in the thread. The 3 dip switches allow for mode and baud rate select. The toggle switch starts/stops logging when switched to the left and marks the file with the correct time stamp when switched to the right. The connections are large enough so you can mount the switch remotely. The tiny black switch(SW4) swaps the transmit and receive lines on the serial port when connecting to a PC for parameter changes such as date and time set so you can use the same cable. You will also need the gender changer(Radio Shack) to connect to Megasquirt. This is removed when connected to a PC. There is also a optional power cable so you can connect to a cigarette lighter outlet. I guess what I will do is post the blank board on Ebay along with the BOM and electrical diagram. All of the parts were ordered through Digikey and the BOM can be uploaded there for current pricing. I think I will also post the software somewhere so others can improve on it or add options if they wish. I just want credit for what has been written so far. Maybe a video will be next.

Huey
Last edited by Huey on Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
h22
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by h22 »

Nice work. If you do put it up on fleabay please post a link. I am still in the midst of getting a motorcycle up and running, this would really be usefull.

Joe
carlej
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by carlej »

I would be very interested in a board, and BOM. I am still using MS1 extra 029y4.
This would work great as I am not allowed to have a laptop or palm in vehicle
while competing.

Carl
h22
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by h22 »

I am glad you decided to keep this going.

One thing that seems verry prommising is the propeller chip, I looked at the specs and capabillities of that IC an it sure looks prommising. Using the VGA out to run a small (cheep) display would be killer. Other options would be possiblr to? There are already 2 input/output boards available, the GPIO and the I/O expander board from Jean ( and he has another companion logger board in the works ), so adding additional I/O to this would seem quite redundant. But many users have expressed interest in a display that offers more that the current megaveiw and LCDash have to offer.

wondering what other balls and whisles could be developed for this platform, climate controls? turbo timer?
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Huey »

Ok, anyone that would like to purchase one of these blank circuit boards can get one for $33.00 plus shipping. This will include the BOM, open source code, and the schematic.
Add another $5.00 and I will send a preprogrammed 24LC256 along with it. The preprogrammed IC is not necessary, it just makes it easier for you. I can go ahead and send the BOM that can be uploaded to Digikey to get an idea of total cost.

EDIT:
I've sold three blank boards with the preprogrammed IC so far.

Thanks, Huey
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Huey »

I will sell the assembled and tested board in the above picture for $125.00 plus shipping. Price is for the assembled board only no cables or adapters.
Edit: Sold
Thanks, Huey
Last edited by Huey on Sun May 23, 2010 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Huey wrote:I will sell the assembled and tested board in the above picture for $125.00 plus shipping. Price is for the assembled board only no cables or adapters.

Thanks, Huey
That is a killer deal and what I should have done.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
h22
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by h22 »

just a quick note, Digikey seems to be out of o couple of the items on the BOM, the smaller slide switch and the coin battery. I was able to find another battery that should work, and i think i can get the switch locally. Thanks Huey
h22
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by h22 »

I accidentally connected U5(the real time clock) to 3.3v instead of 5v. It is easily repaired with a single jumper after cutting through one trace.
could you post some pics?