TinyIOx: read LC1 digital data. Now with generic PWM

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

TinyIOx: read LC1 digital data. Now with generic PWM

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I have a new board that is called the TinyIOx. It based on the smallest package from the CPU family used by the IOx (I/O Extender). So it has a small subset of the IOx: 9 ADCs, 6 timer channels, CAN, 1 RS-232 port, 1 I2C bus and 2 spare digital I/Os. The RS-232 is connected to a 2.5mm jack for connecting to an LC1 chain. I communicates with an MS2 or MS3 through the CAN port.

So if you want to get the digital data from an LC1 or a chain of up to 16 of them, you can simply connect it to the CAN bus of your MS2 or MS3, power it from the 5V supply of your MS board and plug the LC1 chain to the 2.5mm stereo jack using the standard Innovate wire. This is what it looks like:
tinyIOx_v1_0.jpg
The board is again 5cm x 5cm and the CPU side is just a bit wider than the proto area side. And if the proto area is not needed, it can be snapped off since the board is scored for this. But with the proto area, you can add ADC circuits, an optp-coupler for a Hall sensor, an LM1815 for a VR sensor, a small NPN transistors with resistors for a digital output, ...

I still need to do some tests on the firmware but since it is based on the existing IOx, it should be mainly going through all the features. The pricing is yet to be finalized but should be the same as the IOx-OEM which is $75.

Jean

EDIT: The board now has a web page: http://jbperf.com/io_extender/tinyIOx.html
Last edited by racingmini_mtl on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
hoveringuy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: TiniIOx: read LC1 digital data

Post by hoveringuy »

Nice work! Is this meant to mount internally to the case? Can the 2.5mm plug have an extender that lets me mount the board internally but lets me mount the plug into the MS case?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Yes this is meant to go inside the case (even though you could use an external box). You can mount the board such that it is flush with the end of the case and drill a hole in the end plate to have access to the 2.5mm jack. Or you can mount it somewhere else and use an extension with a 2.5mm plug to bring the signal to the board.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

Can the I2C bus be used with the SLC OEM widebands?

Cheers,

Daniel.
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
Twin turbo LS3 powered Race boat with MS3pro and GPIO.
MS2 on a 22r in a Hilux (mates car).
MS2extra on a turbo EF Falcon (brothers car).
Toyota Supra 1jz MS2extra, COP.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Yes it can (the code supports up to 16 of them). And if you don't need or want to use the serial port, you can use the stereo jack for the I2C bus instead of using the header: there are 2 solder jumpers that can disconnect the RS232 chip from the jack and that you can use to connect some other signal. But if you use the TinyIOx in a different case than the SLC-OEM(s), I would recommend the use of a bus extender chip on both sides (you can use the proto area for this).

Jean
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

This is to confirm that the TinyIOx is now available. The price is $75 plus shipping. Contact me for details or if you want one.

Jean
fixmann
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fixmann »

hi
Wery nice board.

Can the spare adc inputs be used to ?
If i could use your termocouple board together with this CAN-module it would be great.

Øyvind
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Yes the spare ADCs can be used as well as all the other I/Os. The I/Os are available at the dual row header below the CPU. And you can definitely use the thermocouple board with this.

Jean
fixmann
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: TinyIOx: read LC1 digital data

Post by fixmann »

hi

Nice :D
I will order stuff from you as soon as i comes home fron my vacation.

Regards
Øyvind
Joe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Joe »

Any chance someday of adding the techedge data stream?

Thanks,
Joe
78 Chev 4x4 MS3. Microsquit 4l80E (Toy Hauler/Beta test rig )
70 AAR Cuda -Hanger queen- 340 MS3 Seq- XV Level II
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Joe wrote:Any chance someday of adding the techedge data stream?

Thanks,
Joe
Yes. The problem with the techedge is that you can only have one wideband controller on the serial port as opposed to the multiple LC1s with the Innovate chain. Of course, if you only need to read one controller that's sufficient.

Jean
fixmann
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fixmann »

hi

a couple more qestions,.

How will the adc-inputs on the TinyIOx show up in tunerstudio, GPIOADC?

Can the IOx-OEM also accept input from the LC1 and rute it over CAN?

Øyvind
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

fixmann wrote:How will the adc-inputs on the TinyIOx show up in tunerstudio, GPIOADC?
Yes if you use MS2/Extra. And in that case you can have up to 8 of them. With MS3 they are called CAN ADC and there are up to 24 but the TinyIOx only has 9 available. By the way, you need to build an ADC conditioner circuit for each ADC channel you want to use since none are provided on the board. You can use the proto are for this.
fixmann wrote:Can the IOx-OEM also accept input from the LC1 and rute it over CAN?
Yes it can but you need to build the RS232 circuit. The IOx-OEM is exactly the same CPU as the IOx with the same firmware so it has all the same features. It also has the same exact footprint as the IOx for the headers around the CPU to give access to all the CPU I/Os. But it has none of the I/O circuits except for the CAN transceiver. And as for the TinyIOx, it needs an external 5V power supply.

Jean
MWPau
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MWPau »

So is there going to be some decent documentation for these?

I have one of these on the way to use for LC1 and ADC, and am trying to plan my MS3+MS3X+TinyIOX wiring.
I see a pinout on the jbperf forum, but no description of the pins (what are TMPxCHx, PTEx, etc?).
Where is the CAN bus wired in?
Is there anything between the ADCx pins and the micro?
Toyota Celica GT4/Alltrac with 5S-GTE stroker (2.2L I4 turbo, high CR) on E85 w/FlexFuel.
MS3 + MS3X + KnockBoard + RTC + BT + DIY CAN-IO-Board + DIY CAN Digital Dash.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The CAN bus is connected to the 2 pads at the top of the board where it says CAN with CANH and CANL identified by H and L. The small DIP switch is to enable the bus terminating resistor so that if you have more than one CAN device you only have the needed terminating resistors. If you only have this CAN device set it to ON which should be what you have by default.

And there is no conditioning circuit on the board so if you want to use ADC inputs you will need to build the circuit on the proto area (which is mentioned in the first post here on on my forum). The TMPxCHx pins are timer pins, SDA/SCL are the I2C bus pins, the PTEx pins are digital I/Os and the ADx pins are the ADC pins.

The ADC conditioning circuit needed is the same as the one used on the MS board so for a generic analog input, you will need 2 caps and a resistor per circuit (generic values would be 1nF, 0.22uF and 1K). If you want to use a thermistor (temperature sensor) you will need to add a bias resistor (the GM sensor uses a 2.49k resistor).

And it might be better to post your questions on my forum.

Jean
MWPau
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MWPau »

Thanks Jean, that answers my questions.... for the moment :lol:
Toyota Celica GT4/Alltrac with 5S-GTE stroker (2.2L I4 turbo, high CR) on E85 w/FlexFuel.
MS3 + MS3X + KnockBoard + RTC + BT + DIY CAN-IO-Board + DIY CAN Digital Dash.
ruzki
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ruzki »

could i control 2 PWM valves with this board in the same way like the boost valve ?

For example this Board has its own 8x8 table map/rpm and duty values ?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

ruzki wrote:could i control 2 PWM valves with this board in the same way like the boost valve ?

For example this Board has its own 8x8 table map/rpm and duty values ?
No there is no control table for the outputs. This has to come from the ECU. If you have an MS2 then you won't be able to do it. But if you have an MS3, you can use the generic PWM outputs and the CAN PWM outputs.

Jean
ruzki
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ruzki »

Aha ! :D

is this a feature that maybe will come in the future ? :D
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Actually, after reading your message I had a look at it and it would not be that big of a job to add a couple of tables and read the load (MAP, TPS or MAFMAP) and RPM from either an MS2 or MS3 over CAN. I'll think about it a bit more but it is quite possible that I will be adding it in the not too distant future.

Jean